The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
rc

Brass prices....

What would be a good price to ask for my used brass in 9mm and .45 given the current shortages of loaded ammo? Seems like Midway's prices are through the roof for brass and I could sell these off for 1/2 of what a box of ammo cost me just a few years ago. What are your thoughts? I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 cents each casing. rc
Old March 7, 2009, 02:34 PM   #2
blue dingo

see what they're selling for on gunbroker.com type brass in the search window
Old March 7, 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Mr Phil

I sent you a PM I will likley buy
Old March 7, 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Sevens

It sounds like you are asking a forum full of reloaders how high you should price your brass given the fact that all of us are having a hard time finding components?

I say you should sell it for 1 cent a piece.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:55 PM   #5
orionengnr

Quote:
see what they're selling for on gunbroker.com
Which is entirely different from what they're asking for on GB.com.

In the real world (if you really want to sell)--
$25-30 per thousand for 9mm
$40-50 per thousand for .45acp

I have bought many cases for less than these prices, and I have actually paid these prices, but I have never paid higher, although I see people asking higher. I don't see it moving at higher prices, so it's up to you. Price it where you like...Capitalism at it's best.

Do some looking and see if I'm lying to you. Brass prices and lead prices (for scrap) are about 1/2 of what they were 9 months ago. Demand is still strong for ammo and components, but panic buying has probably already peaked, and prices are at least stable, if not actually declining.

Last edited by orionengnr; March 7, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old March 7, 2009, 07:56 PM   #6
The_Vigilante

Brass prices....

Orionengnr,

Just curious-on what do you base your remarks that panic buying has peaked? BTW, I hope you are right.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
orionengnr

I attend nearly every gun show here in North Texas, and that is several per month. I am friendly with several of the ammo and component dealers, and always drop by to say "hi" (and pick up another 1000 primers or 500 cast bullets ). That is the idea I get from them, although not in so many words.

Availability of primers and bullets is pretty good, whereas three months ago I was seeing fewer primers, or none at all of a certain type (small rifle). There were also times when they would be "cleaned out" of certain items (like .308 brass). I was literally seeing people (not vendors) dragging hand trucks with ammo stacked up on them. At the last Market Hall show in January, it seemed like every second person had an AR on his shoulder (and they were buying, not selling). I'm not seeing that now. I'm not saying that sales aren't still brisk, because they are, but it seems to have reached the peak and may by easing off a bit. Or maybe it's just wishfull thinking

That said, I am missing the show in Fort Worth today because I jacked up my back this week, but hope to make it to Mesquite next weekend.
Old March 8, 2009, 01:01 PM   #8
RickV

I actually have been looking around today for some 45acp brass. On GB the sellers must be on drugs they are asking WAY too much. I did a search for brass on here and found a few guys selling at reasonable prices sent email and already heard back from one. I think a good price on is about $40 shipped for the 9mm and $70 shipped for the 45acp at least that is what the moe reasonable sellers are asking. JMHO
Old March 8, 2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Russ5924

Down at the club I shoot at you can find 9MM by the hundreds just laying aound. 45ACP just a little harder to find very one grabs them right away
Old March 8, 2009, 08:08 PM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Down at the club I shoot at you can find 9MM by the hundreds just laying aound. 45ACP just a little harder to find very one grabs them right away
Same at my club. I was out there this afternoon came home with about 200 rounds of 9 mm, 100 38spl, 100 40 S&W and 10 45acp.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Tex S

I have a 3500 acre ranch that I can shoot on anytime, but lately I have been going to the local range for the sole purpose of scrounging brass.

I will pay their $10 fee, follow their silly rules, and walk away with $100 in once fired brass every time I go. Sweet!!!