The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
barryhud

Dog Town bullets

I bought some 34 grain Dog Town bullets in 204. cal from Midway and do not have any loading data. The only data I can find is for 32 or 40 grain bullets. I was planning on using Varget powder.
Old March 5, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

i have some of those bullets also... i started with the same starting grain of powder as for the 40grain bullet data.... my theory being... the smaller bullet would have more case/powder capacity than the 40 grain data so it for sure wouldnt be overcharged.... i used 26grain of imr 4064.. is what i ended up with
Old March 5, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
farmall

Barryhud,
Dont take my word for this, but I doubt you could get enough Varget into the case to get into trouble, pressure-wise. I tried Varget in this cartrige under 40gn V-max. I got great groups and some pretty dissapointing velocity...(3400fps)
Let us know hou you turn out with the Dogtowns....been curious myself.
I ended up using the max charge of Ramshot TAC and the 40Vmax for my standard p-dog load.
Andy
Old March 8, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
barryhud

Update on Dog town bullets

I loaded some 34 gr dog town bullets and got to the range today. It was plenty windy, but got a comparison with some Nosler 40 gr. They were both loaded with 26.5 Varget and shot out of a Rem. 700. at 125 yards. The dog towns grouped 4 at 1.23 with three in a wind line of .86 The Nosler were basically the same with a 1.21 group of 4, with 3 of them at .740 I believe a decent shooter with decent conditions could shoot dog town bullets at a 1/2 to 1'' group at 125 yards rather easily.
Barry