The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1
jbombs23

help identifying?

hey cleaning out my Grandmothers basement i came across this rifle that was my grandfathers, and he passed away 20 years ago when i was 8 years old so i have no history of it so any help would be appriciated

Old July 9, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
raftman

Oooh, that's a good find. My guess is Mauser 98 sporterized? I dunno much though.

Last edited by raftman; July 9, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 12:25 AM   #3
the rifleer

Looks like a sportierized Mauser to me.
Old July 9, 2009, 02:48 AM   #4
10-96

Yup, looks like a sporterized German 98 to me. Most likely it is/was chambered in 8mm Mauser (still quite available). But with that, if you have the notion to shoot it or sell it- I would have a certified Gunsmith do a chamber cast to determine the chambering and to ensure it's still in serviceable and safe condition. As far as a ballpark estimate of worth- that would be quite difficult to guess- but it'll possibly hold more sentimental value if it was G'pa's.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:10 AM   #5
simonkenton

Sporterized 8mm Mauser. You can see the eagles with wings outstretched, they are grasping a Swastika in their talons. That is the mark of the German Waffenamt, the weapons office.

This is the rifle carried by the Wehrmacht in WW2. God only knows what that rifle would say, if it could talk.
These rifles are usually good shooters. Some of the best-made rifles ever.

This rifle might have been pretty valuable, had the stock not been modified.
In modified condition, it has little value to a collector.
As far as market value, it is just another $150 deer rifle.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
simonkenton

Your photos weren't clear enough for me to read the Waffenamt code.
But, see what the code is, and you can learn the date of manufacture of your rifle, as well as which company made it.

PS I wish your grandmother would have let me clean out the basement, I would work for free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenamt_codes
Old July 9, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
SDC

The "duv" code was used by the Berlin-Lubecker Maschinenfabrik, up until 1945; your rifle was built in 1941.
Old July 9, 2009, 09:08 PM   #8
TEDDY

kind of a butchered reciever ring
Old July 9, 2009, 10:08 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The exact model designation is K.98k or Karabiner 98 kurz (short). It was the standard German service rifle of WWII. The stock is from another rifle, since it is not a K.98k stock.

Jim
Old July 9, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10
JT-AR-MG42

Looks okay to me

Jbombs, I can't make out the letter suffix under the serial number.

My 'duv 41' 'n' block does not have the machined step on the receiver that yours does. It is a trait normally thought of on 1942 rifles, so I am assuming that it is a very late 1941 production.That step is from production, not 'butchered'.

I also notice a lack of serial number on the barrel near the receiver, but I do notice the marking on the barrel step immediately in front of the receiver on the left side. Curious about that. If it is marked '02' , it would indicate an arsenal rebarrel. Proofs on the barrel might identify the contractor.

The photos are too grainy for me to make a call on the stock. If it is the original stock, it would be numbered in the barrel channel. A better photo might also show what parts on the gun still have matching numbers - bolt and bolt parts, rear sight, and magazine components.

I am sure by now you have gotten personal messages offering to buy it. Best way to sell would be an auction with good clear photos of every major part available. Let the market decide if it is a '$150 deer rifle' . I'll bet it goes for more than that if the bolt and magazine are matching.

Good luck with a nice momento from your Grandfather that would certainly be worth keeping.

JT
Old July 9, 2009, 11:01 PM   #11
jbombs23

thanks for all your help guys i have some other pics, the serial #s are all the same on every place i can find a serial #, JT if ya could email me [email protected] thanks!