The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2001, 07:09 AM   #26
Bowser

NJ,

the spear would be the quietest method were it not for the violent, agonising screams of the spearer when the hog gets his revenge!
Old November 20, 2001, 06:04 PM   #27
KeepOnGlockin

El Rojo are the hogs still hangin around after rooting ? Usually once they've been over a place they dont return. I've hunted hogs all my life and they arent as fierce as people make them out to be. I hardly ever kill one on the spot. I usually use a catch dog then take the boar home and feed it for a month. I've also killed numerous boars with a .22 magnum from less than 25 yards. Aim careful and hit them under the ear they drop on the spot. If your aim is off a little your gonna chase them for miles. If you choose to go with the .22 you can get fairly close easily with the wind to your face. The spear idea is great and dont worry the boar wont get you. Good Luck.
P.S. Dont shoot a high power rifle out of your aunts window.
Old November 21, 2001, 02:16 PM   #28
9mmepiphany

i sorta like the boar spear idea myself except it's usually supposed to be used from horseback...helps prevent slashing by other pigs

i always think of gilroy (garlic capitial) as rather rural, but... the easiest way to go might be the cross-bow (unless you're pretty good with a compound). i think the bolt sticking out of their buddy's head might convince the rest of them to leave.
Old November 23, 2001, 08:52 PM   #29
H&H,hunter

Hey any of you guys ever heard of a .300 whisper? 200 grain bullet at about 900 fps with a can on the end it is silent! With out the can it's pretty darn quiet. just watch out for penitraition it drives through stuff like hells own hammer. Can't afford a new rifle? Try loading your .30-.30 down to about 900Fps with a 175gr bullet same concept. The longer the barrell the better. I've seen the whisper work on hogs down in Texas quite impressive out to about 150 yds then it just dies. Old indian trick shoot only once you'll probably not get to much attention and it's tough to pin-point a rifle report with just one shot. Try the down loaded .30-30 you'll be amazed at how quiet it is especially at any ditance and with any sound cover in the area I.E. trees, shrubs ETC.
Old January 6, 2002, 07:29 PM   #30
El Rojo

Update.

I found out that the neighbors have pig problems too and that they regularly shoot at them, deer, turkey's, and whatever else they want. What I thought might be a liberal enclave is actually used to hearing gun shots in back yards and the pigs that are plowing up all of these backyards would not be missed in the slightest. I might just make a trip up there and use the Remington 700 VS with some 125 gr. Speer TNT's to the head. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old January 7, 2002, 12:23 AM   #31
inGobwetrust

Those TNT's are going to make an awful mess. If the pigs are big they also may not penetrate the skull. I'd consider a sturdier bullet. Just my two pennies worth.
Old January 7, 2002, 07:55 AM   #32
Bottom Gun

El Rojo,

Those 125 gr TNT's ought to work well. They've done well for me. Don't think you need to worry about penetrating the skull. I've shot very large hogs in the past with a .223 (head shots) and they dropped in their tracks.

Happy hunting. Let us know how it goes.
Old January 7, 2002, 01:41 PM   #33
MeekAndMild

The farmer I used to work for killed his hogs with a .22 rifle. Draw an imaginary mark between the right eye and the left ear and onother one between the left eye and right ear. The crossing of that X is the aim point.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 7, 2002, 05:37 PM   #34
El Rojo

I have considered that the TNT might not penetrate as well. However, I am going to be laying prone with a Harris Bipod and the shot is going to be under 100 yards. I will have a 20X scope and plenty of time. A head shot or even a neck shot should be instant death. My father just shot his last pig at about 100 yards plus with his .22-250 using 55 grain V-max. He was trying for a head shot and got the neck. The pig died instantly. I have taken pigs before with the 125 TNTs with a shot to the back. It wasn't a very good shot, but where I hit him in the middle top back, he went down instantly. I think a shot to the eye at less than 100 yards will do the trick. My other reason for using the 125s is if for some reason I miss, it will hit the side of the hill and not go far. Using the 165 gr gameking is going to retain more energy and go further should I possibly miss. I think the 125 will do and yes it will be a mess. That is why I am aiming for the head.
Old January 8, 2002, 01:33 PM   #35
ScottsGT

MMMMMMMMM.........Bar-B-Que.......
Sounds like it's time for a good old fashioned neighborhood Bar-B-Que!
Old January 8, 2002, 09:28 PM   #36
bsmart

El Rojo, do you own a .45 at all? Where I come from, Darwin in the Northern Territory of Australia, our feral pigs are basically nocturnal. They usually are asleep by about 8 am in the morning and usually layup under thick bush, shady areas, under logs generally areas where it is cool and shaded from the sun, not far from water. I'd sneak up on these pigs and let em have it with the SIG P220 using 185gn Sierra hollowpoints at 1100fps, a tad warm! These pigs would weigh in at around 100+kgs sometimes 150. You could get within a couple of metres of them, into the wind and whammo. Also Crossbows are good or even compound bows. That pigsticker Navy Joe showed would do the job as well, as a few people up in the Territory just use dogs and knives. The dogs bail up the pig and you walk up and slit it's throat. Not as hard as it seems.
Old January 9, 2002, 04:05 PM   #37
Guyon

Didn't anybody here see Survivor II? Didn't that Michael guy (the one who passed out and burnt himself pretty badly) kill a pig with a knife strapped to a pole?

If you shoot from inside, don't forget ear protection for yourself and anybody else around.
Old January 9, 2002, 08:16 PM   #38
Crimper-D

Southern Santa Clara County...It can be done!

I have seen pics of a friends son with a pig killed on his Dad's ranch in the hills between Gilroy and Pachecho Pass last year. The County is better known for it's Liberal Silicone Valley polatics than it's agriculture, but it's a Big county, and there is still a lot of ranch land left in the foothills. If you are shooting on family land and the neighbors are not overtly hostile, you can manage rather well. There aren't any public hunting areas around there, and the local landowners aren't likely to let in anyone they don't know well, but the game is there, and since the hunting pressure is light, aren't as spookey as more heavially hunted areas.
The pigs are Razorbacks = feril pigs, not the bigger true Russian Boar running loose in the hills in San Benito and Monterry county. Still plenty big and very tasty I got one a decade back that fed a BBQ of 70 people. Visualize dark very lean pork spit/pit BBQ'd.
Hope you make the hunt.
No suggestions on caliber to use, but my last 2 in Monterry county were with a 30-06.
Old January 11, 2002, 12:15 PM   #39
patent

I read through the thread and saw that the neighborhood seems friendly to shooting the pigs. In case it turns out not to be true, I had one thought for you.

If you fire a shot, even a quieter one, and hope they can't figure out where it came from, you will at some point still have to go get the pig and clean it. That would probably make it clear who was shooting if the pig dropped in a nice manicured lawn without a fence.

Have fun.
Old January 13, 2002, 12:50 PM   #40
H&H,hunter

It finally hit me we've all been on the wrong track!!
All you really need to do is go up to Berkley, heart and soul of the peoples reeducation camps of the PRK. Find a pig whisperer and have them come to your aunts house and have them telepathically modify the pigs behavior so they don't rout up gardens anymore. If that doesn't work maybe the peoples commity on hogs can make a law against pigs routing gardens within the boudries of the glorious PRK.

Problem solved.
Old January 14, 2002, 03:12 PM   #41
scotjute

My family used to trap wild hogs years ago in Louisisana.
The
trap was a wooden pen about 6'x12' and about 5'
high. There was a sliding wood gate held up by a rope
that was tied to a stake near the back of the pen. Bait
in the form of whole ears of corn was tied to the rope.
Forget the exact scenario of how it was attached.
The pig went for the bait and when he pulled it, the rope
tied to it untied the knot, and the heavy wooden gate
then slid down
trapping the hog. Didn't always work, but ususally did.
And you don't have to wait around for the pigs to come.
then you can deal with them at your leisure.
Old January 14, 2002, 04:38 PM   #42
ed mason

It not any quieter but those new barnes x 110 gr .308 bullets are great!
Old January 16, 2002, 03:28 AM   #43
ReverendHobo

Quote:
my last 2 in Monterry county were with a 30-06
Crimper-D, out of curiosity, did you hunt in the Hunters Ligget area?
Old January 16, 2002, 04:11 AM   #44
Mick Mason

set a trap

G'day. I was just surfing around and came across this great site. I have a possible solution to your problem. Around where I live we trap pigs in a humane and RSPCA approved way.
Just get yourself about 30 foot of reenforcing mesh about 6 foot wide and make a circular cage out of it. The cage is put on its end and the ends of the mesh are pushed in towards the centre of the cage. What you have should look like a heart shape when viewed from above. The ends of the mesh that are making the door should be left rough, with the sharp cut ends of the mesh left on. Use some star pickets around the trap to hold it all in place and to hold it down. You need to bait it with something tasty (here we use road kill) and leave a bi of it around the entrance to get the pigs used to the trap. If the pigs are extra cautious you can prop the door open with a bit of stick just wide enough for the pig to get in past his ears and if he sticks his head in he will open the door a little more and the stick will fall out.
Once the pig is in the door the uncut ends mesh back together and he can't get back out.
Then you just show up in the morning with the .22 and do him in.

I hope this makes sense?

Mick
Old January 17, 2002, 03:09 AM   #45
Salt

El Rojo,

I recommend archery tackle due to the close proximity of other homes.

A crossbow might be your best bet for quiet eradication of these pests.