The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
ffs1942

Emergency use of .308 in 30-06 Garand?

Can the .308 be fired in a 30-06 M1?
Old March 20, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2
tahunua001

in some cases yes but it's highly recommended against... really tears up the throat and has potential for ruptured cases...

during WWII GIs used 7.7 jap ammo in their guns, also very bad idea as 7.7 jap is 311 instead of 308...

do not plan on ever doing this.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There used to be a guy who made inserts to allow shooting .308 in an '06. They worked okay for a while, but commonly would pull out during extraction of the fired case. I've no idea if they're still available, but I wouldn't use one.

All in all, best to stay with the proper ammo. Plenty of '06 brass around.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Orlando

No not in a 30.06 chambered Garand
Old March 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5
alex0535

This just seems like a really bad idea unless you want to do serious damage to the rife. .308 and .30-06 are really only similar on the diameter of the bullet.

The chamber on a rifle is there for a reason. To give the outer surface of the case support. You load a .308 into a .30-06 chamber and there is going to be a substantial gap in the chamber that this bullet is going to have to jump across and into your barrel instead not having to jump across any gap because the cartridge is too short.

Stand up an unfired .308 and a .30-06 next to each other, look at them. See the difference? One belongs in a .308 and the other belongs in a .30-06.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
chris in va

I'm trying to imagine any sort of modern 'emergency situation' that would call for the use of 308 in a Garand.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
kilimanjaro

You need to put the bayonet on the Garand and go for a vertical buttstroke or two.

Since you are apparently planning for this emergency, you have plenty of time to go and get some 30.06 ammo.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:56 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I am about to cross the line between screaming "NO! NO!" and sounding like I recommend something.

I do not recommend it, but 7.62 NATO can be fired in an M1 rifle with no problems and no bad effects. The case ends up looking like a rimless .45-70. Because the 7.62 is wider at the shoulder than the .30 is at the same point, the shorter case wedges itself into the chamber. It is nearly impossible to do that in a bolt action, but the closing power of the M1 is more than enough to force the 7.62 in and close the bolt.

As to 7.7 Japanese in a .30-'06 chamber, the result is about the same except that the result is a short neck case. No special force is needed to get the shorter round to chamber, and even the Japanese clips work fine in a Model 1903 rifle. The .003" larger bullet has little or no effect and there are no signs of high pressure. (At normal pressure, a bullet becomes quite malleable, acting almost like it was made from Silly Putty, conforming to barrel dimensions, whether larger or smaller than the bullet itself.)

Jim
Old March 21, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

In the 1950s and 1960s the Navy had chamber inserts for their Garands. As was mentioned, the insert would occasionally come flying out with the ejected case.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Regarding Japanese 7.7 in the Garand, I've heard that this would, over time, cause problems with bending the operating rod as the Japanese powders resulted in port pressures that were too high.

Don't know if it's true or not.

Old March 21, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Bart B.

When the US Navy rebarreled a lot of Garands to 7.62 NATO for the San Diego Recruit Training Command's use on the range at Camp Elliott, once in a while the kid issuing ammo didn't check the rifle type he issued ammo for. Same thing at the Naval District matches across the country when both .30-06 and 7.62 Garands were used.

In both instances, no reports of bad things happening to the rifle nor the shooter. Hundreds of NATO rounds were fired in 30 caliber chambers. Lots of neckless cases on the firing line was not something that was noticed by their shooters. I've stopped a few myself from continuing after noticing them and got them the correct ammo.

Those chamber inserts were the most dangerous part of the whole thing. Few were tight enough fit (had to be driven in with a mallet pounding on a setting tool) to stay there. The USN quickly got rid of the barrels that had them and put 7.62 barrels in those Garands. I think there were a few that didn't get backwards converted and ended up at the CMP for sales with the 7.62 barreled M1's. I've heard of only two that came out at one of the local matches they were used in.

I'd shoot 'em in an emergency and forget about it except for dragging the perpertrator out of the way to pick up the empty brass then calling the county medical examiner to come check out the perpertrator before bagging him.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't try the 7.7 in an M1 rifle, only in an M1903A3, so I don't know about port pressures. I do know that that issue has been so wildly exaggerated that I am not sure what to believe any more. There has been a lot of scare stories (tens of thousands of Americans died in Vietnam with M1 op rods through their heads!*) and a wealth of hype and misinformation from folks selling various gadgets to reduce or release gas cylinder pressure.

*Oddly, no one noticed this at the time; most folks thought the VC and NVA were responsible. And U.S. troops in VN didn't have M1 rifles, a small detail which also escaped the rumor mongers.

Jim
Old March 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Bart B.

You will get higher pressures in a .30-06 chamber than the 7.7 gets in its own barrels simple 'cause its bullets are larger in diameter.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Mobuck

DO NOT FIRE ANY AMMO OTHER THAN WHAT IS MARKED ON THE FIREARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You cannot SAFELY fire 308 in a 30/06 chamber w/o an adapter of some sort.
Where so you guys get these ideas???????????
Old March 21, 2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Bart B.

DO NOT FIRE ANY AMMO OTHER THAN WHAT IS MARKED ON THE FIREARM!

OK, fine. We all promise to never fire and .38 Special ammo in our .357 magnum revolvers with their barrels stamped ".357 Magnum."

And we'll also quit shooting .22 shorts in our rimfire rifles marked ".22 Long Rifle."

Does the 7.62 NATO round qualify as a no-no in .308 Win. chambers found in barrels marked ".308 Win.", too, along with 5.56 NATO ammo in .223 Rem. chambers in barrels marked the same?

Did I leave any other cartridge pair that's a no-no?
Old March 21, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Mobuck

You miss the point of my statement. Shall we say there are exceptions to every rule? The OP's question concerned a very dangerous incompatability in cartridges. In addtion, there were several absurd possible choices of interchangeability of ammo.
Many newer firearms in 357 mag also list the 38 Sp as acceptable. Regarding the 22 rimfire, in many cases, NO you should not use shorts in a long rifle chambered firearm for functional reasons.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:41 PM   #17
kraigwy

I use to run sniper schools, the NG guys used M1c/d's, the RA guys used the M21's.

Both used white box, either M118 or M72. The guard guys were always grabbing the wrong ammo shooting 308 in the Garands. Couldn't hit crap but no problems other then that.

The cases looked like 458 WM without the belt. I had to hire a special ammo guy to issue the right ammo..........dummies.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 21, 2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Jim Watson

How bad is the emergency?
How poor was preparation that you have on hand an M1 and clips but no .30-06; .308 ammunition and no .308 rifle?
I think the zombies have already eaten your brain.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:28 PM   #19
Gunnutfn49

Nonononononononono

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 21, 2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Cesure

Quote:
Did I leave any other cartridge pair that's a no-no?
The .32 S&W into the .32 S&W Long into the .32 H&R Mag into the .327 Federal Mag. They're all .311 bullets in straight walled cases.

The problem with .308 in a .30-06 is that the case will most likely become unreloadable and that's a shame.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:00 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The OP's question concerned a very dangerous incompatability in cartridges."

Actually, as far as cartridge swaps go, it is not particularly dangerous.

As noted, the .308 will hold nicely into the chamber of many rifles, allowing it to be fired and extracted.

Because the .308 is based on the .30-06 case, the head is fully supported upon firing, so there's virtually no danger of a case head failure filling the action with the very angry genie that lives amongst the powder grains.

Because the .308 uses the same diameter bullet as the .30-06, there's virtually no danger of a spike in pressure bursting the action. In fact, pressure will be significantly decreased because of all of the extra space that has to be filled where there is no case at the front of the chamber.

Old March 21, 2013, 08:40 PM   #22
David13

"How bad is the emergency?
How poor was preparation that you have on hand an M1 and clips but no .30-06; .308 ammunition and no .308 rifle?
I think the zombies have already eaten your brain."

Jim
I think you have figured out the emergency. And the emergency has come and gone.
dc
Old March 21, 2013, 08:42 PM   #23
jmr40

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine any sort of modern 'emergency situation' that would call for the use of 308 in a Garand.
Because someone else is trying to shoot you. You have a 30-06 chambered Garand and a handful of 308 ammo. If it will go bang when I pull the trigger and not blow up the gun, which seems probable in this case, I'd do it and worry about any gun damage later.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Can we bury the horse now, before it goes to smelling bad?
Old March 21, 2013, 09:02 PM   #25
James K
Member In Memoriam

I really considered the question a hypothetical one from the start. But I have been playing gun games for a long time and checking out (with care) some of the things people say are impossible or will cause world-wide nuclear destruction, and so far I am in one piece (so, AFAIK, is the world, at least yet).

I agree that as a general rule, Mobuck is correct. Another good general rule is not pointing a gun at anything we don't intend to shoot. But if you think about that, it becomes silly; every time I remove a gun from the safe, I am pointing it at a lot of things I am not going to shoot. If I put a loaded pistol in my holster, I will point it at the wall, the floor, and other things I sure don't want to put a hole in.

Jim
Closed Thread