The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2011, 09:12 AM   #1
columbia_shotguneer

bulged star crimp shotshells 12 ga.

I apologize if this post is not in the correct section of forum but here it is. Is it possible to shoot these safely if you can cram them in the chamber? Don't understand why some of the shells are not like this in the same box, but there are some good and round and some with a bulge near what looks like the wadding area. I appreciate the help if possible, thanks.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:02 AM   #2
dahermit

Pictures will lead to a better answer, grasshopper.
Old September 6, 2011, 04:33 AM   #3
columbia_shotguneer

I don't think you'll be much help anyways, but thanks for you time. Anyone else experience an unusual slightly bulged shell near wad area? These are plastic shells I may add.
Old September 6, 2011, 05:49 AM   #4
SDC

Are these reloads or factory loads? If they're reloads and bulged, it sounds like someone got their "recipe" wrong, and tried to stuff too much of something (maybe shot, maybe powder, maybe a too-long wad) in there, and they weren't being crimped properly. If they're factory, the only possibility I can think of is that they might've gotten wet, and maybe started to swell.
Old September 6, 2011, 08:19 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
If they're factory, the only possibility I can think of is that they might've gotten wet, and maybe started to swell.
Factory shot shells are sealed at the top...should be completely water proof except maybe at the primer. Also, factory plastic shot shells would likely have plastic wads, which should not be affected by moisture and would not swell if wet.
If they are hand loads, the sizing step takes place first. Then the components are added. If a person was using non-plastic wads, felt or cardboard to make up wad height (some loads have listed such), they could absorb water. Also, non-plastic wads can have too much pressure applied, bulging the plastic case...where as plastic one-piece wads usually "relax" after having too much pressure applied. Old-time shot shell loaders will know about "wad pressure".

A prudent person would cut one open and report what has caused the bulge, and ask the question again.

But then, he does not think I will be of much help anyway, so please disregard anything I have said. Nevertheless, the bill is in the mail for my time.
Old September 6, 2011, 01:42 PM   #6
RsqVet

Pics? And just how much force is going to be used to "cram" them in the chamber?

It's rarely a good idea to discharge any round that has to be forced into a chamber.
Old September 6, 2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Poodleshooter

The internal basewads (not the shotwad) on some factory shotshells are paper, even for otherwise "plastic" shotshells. Federal does/did this with their cheaper shotshells.

That said, bad reloads is likely the answer. A thick shotcup combined with the wrong hull design and too large of a shot payload or an incorrectly stacked buckshot payload can commonly bulge the sidewalls, though it's more common for it to simply pop the crimp open at the top.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:23 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

They sound like bad reloads. If the reloader turned out shells that bulge, what else is wrong with them? Double charge? Wrong powder? Toss them or if you reload break them down for the shot. Don't try to re-use the powder.

Jim
Old September 6, 2011, 06:00 PM   #9
columbia_shotguneer

this is the best photo I can get of the shotshell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0019.jpg (247.8 KB, 88 views)
Old September 6, 2011, 07:43 PM   #10
dahermit

They look like cooper plated buck shot.
Do the tops where the star comes together in the center of the crimp, have a little spot where the center is melted together? If yes, then they are factory loads and I would use them if they will chamber. Others may disagree and suggest dumping them if they are bulged, despite the fact they were produced in a factory and will say: "If in doubt, throw them out."

If there is no seal in the center, but the crimp is just held by the folds, then they are hand loads and I would not fire them if they were not my own hand loads. But, it is your gun, eyes, fingers...You decide how much risk it is worth.

The attachment shows some factory crimps. The red one is what I described, the green uses a sealant.

Last edited by dahermit; November 6, 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:14 PM   #11
columbia_shotguneer

they are factory 00 Fiochi nickel plated buck. dahermit, I want to apologize if I sounded rude earlier, just didn't like the whole grasshopper thingajig, haha thanks for your help.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:17 PM   #12
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
Pics? And just how much force is going to be used to "cram" them in the chamber?
alot of force is needed and when shot the swollen shells always stick in the chamber. BTW, this is with a 12 ga.singleshot FIE.
Old September 7, 2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

This is the real danger of leaving a shotgun magazine loaded long term. Most people worry about the magazine spring weakening.

The real problem is that the constant tension on the shells can cause them to start to collapse and develop bulges in the case.
This is worse in shotguns with magazine extensions and guns carried upright in a police rack where the bouncing can cause faster collapsing.

This also happens rather quickly with some brands of shells, especially foreign brands who seem to use weaker plastics.
However, this can happen with any brand of shells.

If the bulging isn't too bad, they can be safely shot, but chambering and extraction may be a problem.
I'd suggest trying another brand of shells, especially a premium brand American made shell by Remington, Winchester, or Federal.

Why a single shot shotgun would bulge the shells is a mystery, unless you are having to use excessive force to get them to chamber.
Inspect the chamber for corrosion, and buy and use a shotgun chamber brush to thoroughly scrub the chamber.
Also, make sure you aren't loading longer shells in a shorter chambered gun.
As example, loading 3" shells in a barrel made for 2 3/4" shells.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Jeff F

I've got an 870 with a +3 extension and a strong magazine spring that has been loaded 1 short for over a year and I don't see any sign of shell compression. The loads are Winchester super X 00 buck.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:10 AM   #15
Hawg

Three inch shells fit just fine in a 2 3/4 chamber. They're measured once they're fired.
Old September 8, 2011, 06:42 AM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
Why a single shot shotgun would bulge the shells is a mystery, unless you are having to use excessive force to get them to chamber.
Inspect the chamber for corrosion, and buy and use a shotgun chamber brush to thoroughly scrub the chamber.
From his post, they are found to be bulged in the box they came in...if so, nothing to do with his gun.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:08 PM   #17
columbia_shotguneer

I have just put it down in the books as defective shells. Maybe with a slightly overbored chamber they would be ok to shoot, but I am fine shooting some other shells with no problems, so I appreciate all the info folks.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:34 PM   #18
dahermit

Out of curiosity, what are you shooting with that OO buckshot?
Old September 8, 2011, 09:48 PM   #19
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are you shooting with that OO buckshot?
Target shooting but with bow season coming up in FL, I need to keep the noise level down abit, hehe.