The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 30, 2011, 07:03 AM   #1
bdwmsu

M1898 Krag - installation of redfield mod. 70 peep sights

All - I need some help. I have a M1898 that someone cut down (did a pretty fair job too, IMHO) that has what I believe is a redfield model 70 peep sight (micrometer adjust and installed in place of mag cut-off).

I believe the front sight blade may not have been adjusted in height when the redfield was installed because I had to adjust it off the elevation scale to zero it at 100 yds. Now, I know I probably won't shoot anything over 100yds with it, but I'd like to know if I can even correct the issue.

It also may be a case of me reinstalling the sight incorrectly after I took the rifle down for inspection and cleaning after I brought it home (if so.. Doh!).

Help! and thanks!
Old August 30, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Without pictures there's no way to tell if you put the sight in correctly, but if you had to run the rear peep all way up to get on paper at 100, then all you have to do is file the front sight shorter to get it in range. Numrich has .413" high front sight blades for $10 if you mess it up, but basically you just have to file down the same amount the rear sight is too high. If that's not practical, then you need to mount the rear sight base up higher. (I don't have experience with the Redfield Model 70, so I'll have to defer to someone who does.)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
bdwmsu

Yeah, after further review there is only one way to mount the redfield. So i guess I need to start shaving the front site blade... I think I'll get a new one and use it and save the original in case I ever decide to restore it to original condition (not likely, pretty sure finding an original full length barrel would be tough)
Old September 2, 2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Check Numrich for those, too. I think I some barrels with front sights already on them, but not cheap. As you surmise, they are increasingly scarce.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5
kraigwy

There is a way to figure out how much to take off the front sight WITH OUT screwing it up.

Set the rear sight at 100 yards. or a mark you want to use for 100 yards. (enough to give you the elevation changes you want at further ranges.)

Shoot the rifle and see how high it is at 100 yards.

Now measure the sight radius. Divide the sight radius by 3600, that will tell you how much of the front sight you need to remove to move the impact 1 MOA.

(the 3600 number comes from 3600 inches in 100 yards.)

Example: lets say your sight radius is 22 inches (I don't know what it is on your rifle).

22/3600 = .0061 so each .0061 you take off the sight will move the impact .0061. If your 10 inches high, then you take off .061 which would zero your sights at 100 yards.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 2, 2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I would use the depth probe on the back of my caliper beam to see how high the Redding peep is off the receiver when zeroed at 100 yards now. Then I would move the sight down where I wanted it to be and measure the new height off the same spot on receiver. Subtract the old height from the new. Multiply that difference by (3600-Sight Radius in inches)/3600. That's how much the front sight will need to come down to keep the same POI. It'll be almost as big an amount.

Example:

Suppose the sight radius is 25" (I have no idea how short your barrel is, so I pulled that number out of thin air; you'll have to measure from the back of the front sight to the back of the peep to get your actual sight radius).

Further suppose the current zeroed peep hood height is 1" above the receiver and the desired position is 5/8" above the receiver, so the difference is 3/8" (0.375")

0.375 × (3600-25) / 3600 = 0.372". So that's how far the front sight needs to come down.