The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1
ebell46

Gunsmith certifications

Is there any way of "testing" into a gunsmith certifications, like a knife maker tests into becoming a journeyman then master smith? Also, has anyone done the AGI program? To be honast, im realy sure what certifications there are for gunsmiths, i assume there are some, more for insurance purposes than anything else, but good repuatation and experience matters more than a piece of paper.
Old August 24, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Scorch

All you really need to be a "gunsmith" is an FFL and a sign that says "Gunsmith". Insurance, business license, tax ID, those are all nice to have, but there have been many gunsmiths who have appeared that had none of those. Much like knifemaking, there are industry organizations that offer training, but there is no formal, required certification process. I can become a "master gunsmith" simply by declaring myself to be so.

Reputation (good or bad) counts for some, but you get a reputation by working on guns. Most reputable smiths start out in trade school, an apprenticeship, or working with an experienced smith. When they relocate or start up their own place, they take their reputation with them. If they are any good, they might take a few customers along as well. Many are trained tradesmen (machinists, tool and die makers, mechanics, etc), and fixing guns is just more to their liking so they move into it, or they transition by using their previous skill in a gun shop. And of course, some feel that apprenticeship and training are a waste of time, because they fixed their Uncle Bill's rifle once, and it kinda works OK some of the time, even though it does have that grinder mark across the side where they slipped.

If you are looking for a smith, ask around, people will recommend someone they have used before, hopefully with good results.
Old August 24, 2011, 03:48 PM   #3
ebell46

I find that a little disapointing, I wanted to one day be able to be a "master gunsmith" however, if all it takes is a sign and an FFL, it kind of takes away from the title. Maybe i'll look into getting my FFL, save money on transfers if nothing else.
Old August 24, 2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Don H

Be aware that BATF requires you to use that FFL for a legitimate business. If your location requires a business to have a business license, resale tax number, business zoning, etc., you'll have to jump through those hoops also to procure the FFL. Unless, of course, you just get a 03FFL as a collector of Curios and Relics.
Old August 24, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Be aware that BATF requires you to use that FFL for a legitimate business. If your location requires a business to have a business license, resale tax number, business zoning, etc., you'll have to jump through those hoops also to procure the FFL. Unless, of course, you just get a 03FFL as a collector of Curios and Relics.
Correct. I wanted a FFl-01 but the county where I live put the screws to that. No walk up or delivery traffic to the house. FFL-03 will do no good whatsoever for being a gunsmith as he mentioned saving money on transfers.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.