The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 28, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
swsurgeon

Need Advice on Marlin 1895 FTF Problem

One of my hunting partners who lives in Montana has a newer Marlin 1895 (it has the safety). He is experiencing problems with failures to fire. The rifle has fewer than 200 rounds through it. The rifle will generally fire when the action is cycled and the trigger is pulled. The problem arises when the action is cycled and then the hammer is slowly dropped. When the hammer is then manually cocked (with no cycling of the action) and my friend attempts to fire the rifle, it will not fire.

The same failure to fire can be induced by cycling the action, then pressing in on the back of the firing pin with your finger. When the trigger is pulled and the hammer drops, the rifle does not fire.

I have read that Marlin's two-piece firing pin is prone to breakage. I have also read that problems arise from the safeties. I'm just curious whether anyone has experienced a Marlin levergun problem like this? If so, did it arise from the firing pin, safety or some other cause?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old January 29, 2010, 03:59 AM   #2
roklok

It sounds to me like either the rear part or the front part of the two piece firing pin may be a bit short, when pressed in either with your finger or by the hammer, it does not generate enough inertia to strike the primer hard enough. I dont have my 336 or 1895 handy to check, but I am almost 100% certain that the Marlins use a non-inertial firing pin, in other words, when the rear of the pin is flush with the rear of the bolt, the tip of the firing pin should protrude from the breech face. If one or the other is short, it may be firing on inertia when the pin protrudes form the rear of the bolt, but not when it is pressed in. The only misfires I have suffered from a Marlin is with my 60s vintage 336 with the narrow hammer. It has had two misfires in its lifetime. One for my dad, who bought it new, and one for me. The newer Marlins have a beefed up hammer for more mass.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
swsurgeon

Thanks for your thoughts. I personally have both a '94 and '95 (earlier models, without the safety) and neither has a firing pin that behaves like my friend's '95. I have never had a misfire with either. However, after reading about broken factory two-piece firing pins, I may look for one of the one-piece replacement pins that the cowboy action shooters favor.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:35 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If your friend was in Florida and this was July, I might have a different suggestion, but in Montana in the winter, I would recommend soaking the bolt in Kroil to remove all the grease and crud from inside. If necessary, disassemble the bolt and clean with long Q-tips or pipe cleaners.

It sounds like the cold is congealing the factory grease in the bolt and cushioning the firing pin.

Jim
Old January 31, 2010, 06:22 AM   #5
swsurgeon

Good thought. I initially speculated that there might be some sort of crud in the bolt. My friend assures me that he didn't muck it up but you're right that the factory lube might be enough to cause a problem in cold weather.

I got the impression my friend is a bit reluctant to disassemble the action himself. He might try some Gun Scrubber spray. However, unless he wants to pay a gunsmith to do it, any firing pin, spring or congealed grease problem will require him to disassemble the action.

Thanks for your input!
Old January 31, 2010, 12:53 PM   #6
RickE

I just looked at my 336, and roclok's test appears to be a good place to start as it is simple, and makes sense. With Jim's experience, you have to think beyond the easy answer. Something I would have never considered!