The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
dalegribble

Pump vs Semi Auto vs Double for Defense

I guess there is no wrong answer here but what is your favorite format for home defense? I have had a mossy pump with an 18" barrel for years as my favorite. Since then I have also added a SXS coach gun with exposed hammers and most recently a Tristar semi auto defense shotgun.

Since the tristar is my newest toy it is getting the most use. Other than 3 failures to feed on my first magazine it had been flawless. It has a plus 1 capacity over the mossberg and is faster and easier to keep on target than a pump, I think.

Mossberg pump, what can I say? It is an old friend, has never failed to fire, love that sound when you rack the slide. That sound alone has probably brought more bad guys to their knees, at least the smart ones.

Side by side coach gun. Easy to opertate, I prefer the exposed hammers to the hammerless design just for my safety. If it was my only choice I would feel totally happy but since I have 2 other choices I rank it 3rd.

I'm not sure the tristar semi auto will end up in first place but I am giving it a shot for now. It is fast, easy to keep on target, better recoil pad than the mossy. It also seems very well made, I don't see any shortcuts, all parts seem to be quality. I'll know more afer a year and a thousand rounds or so.

What is your favorite?
Old July 1, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I prefer the "pump 'em up carry-o-bine" platform... But the twice barrel shoot gun is good too.
Brent
Old July 1, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
greyson97

How many homes are you defending!?!?!?
I have a Benelli M4. Semi Auto. 8 rounds. will cycle almost anything. Used by the USMC.

Since I got that, I literally mothballed my pump remington 870. nothing like trying to fire a pump action shotgun in semi auto mode, or pulling the fore grip back on by m4 wondering why it wont pump. So I stick to one type of shotgun, and i think i have a winner.

In the heat of the situation, I guess the double barrel would be the easiest, shoot kill. but you only have 2 rounds. but whatever works for you.

as for that clack clack of a pump. it may scare the burgular away, but what it will do for certain is give your position away and let the burgular know you are armed with a pump shotgun
Old July 1, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

From a purely defensive standpoint Pump is my choice.

THinking about legal, Grandads double looks pretty good in court.

I currently have a pump(Moss 500) for HD, but a double coach is on the long list.
Old July 1, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
sholling

My choice is a Benelli M1 S90 semiauto. Nothing will ruin a charging badguy's day like a 12ga double tap.
Old July 1, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
publius

my take on it is different than most others. I think it largely depends on the individual from a safety standpoint. The common opinion, which I share, is that the pump is the most reliable. It's what I use but I don't think it's the best choice for everyone. I have been shooting primarily 870's since I was 10 so pumping is instinctive for me. I think that if you don't have LOTS of time behind a pump that a good reliable auto is a better choice.
Old July 1, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
BigJimP

All 3 are reliable - if you keep them clean and well lubed - are good options..

Personally, for defense .. I rely on a 1911 5" in .45acp ( and 2 mags of 8 rounds 230grain Hydra Shok ) ...just makes me feel warm and fuzzy ...( and I practice tactical drills weekly with a 1911 ).

I'm a big shotgun fan / just not for tacticil issues .....and if I really had an issue / fighting my way to my safe - and grabbing something it would probably be a semi-auto shotgun if I wanted a shotgun...
Old July 1, 2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Put your self in the place of the bad guy

It's dark.

You have entered someone else's home without permission with the intent of committing further criminal acts.

As you try to fumble your way around in the dark, you hear a sound that is as distinctive as a rattlesnake rattle and just as bone-chilling.

It's the KLACK CHACK of a pump shotgun being placed into battery.

I'll take the pump.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law
Old July 1, 2009, 12:20 PM   #9
New_Pollution1086

I like my pump, mossy500 18.5in barrel

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old July 1, 2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Brigadier

Quote:
It's dark.

You have entered someone else's home without permission with the intent of committing further criminal acts.

As you try to fumble your way around in the dark, you hear a sound that is as distinctive as a rattlesnake rattle and just as bone-chilling.

And then handgun bullets start impacting all around you becasue you gave away your position. No thanks.

I'll take a semi auto - 930 HD. All my other guns except 1 are pull trigger, gun goes bang. Keep the manual of arms as consistent as possible.
Old July 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Shawn Thompson

Quote:
Agreed, this distinct sound does have an associated psychological deterent that is worth mentioning.

As far as comparing semi-autos with pumps, we have seen an equal number of each run through classes. While there have been a few semi-autos go down (albeit a rare occasion), we have yet to see a pump fail. For what it's worth.
Old July 1, 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Ian0351

Quote:
Other than 3 failures to feed on my first magazine it had been flawless
ummm... +1 for the pump gun?

Semper Fidelis
Old July 1, 2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Evyl Robot

My wife and I each have pumps, but I could see having a safe full of scatterguns in various formats. I just love the silly things!
Old July 1, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
dalegribble

"Other than 3 failures to feed on my first magazine it had been flawless

ummm... +1 for the pump gun? "

lol, i hear what you are saying but i am willing to give the semi auto a chance, after all it has been flawless since that 1st magazine....but my pumps have always been 100%. even if the semi never has another failure it will never be 100%. all i can compare it to are 1911 pistols, they often have failures when new and need to be "broken in". the break in period doesn't seem to cause people to lose confidence in 1911's. i guess time will tell.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:12 PM   #15
wnycollector

I have 2 shotguns loaded for HD duty, a 7+1 maverick 88 and a 16ga SxS I chopped down to 18.5". My wife LOVES the SxS. She calls it "idiot proof"! I prefer the Maverick. If I heard a bump in the night, I would grab the pump. If she heard one, she would grab the SxS. To each their own I guess!
Old July 1, 2009, 04:48 PM   #16
vranasaurus

The sound of a pump shotgun might be distinctive to all of us because we have been around it and heard it. But many criminals probably don't know that sound from any other.
Old July 1, 2009, 06:07 PM   #17
ninjatoth

pump vs semi was a part of the show "deadliest warrior" on spike tv.It was green berrets with a pump action vs the russian spetznaz with their saiga semi.The semi did so much better than the pump did.Just as you would imagine,the semi hit multiple targets alot faster
Old July 1, 2009, 07:00 PM   #18
dalegribble

i have 2 of the saiga 223's, great guns. I've never tried a saiga shotgun but would like to try one. how much are they selling for? i like the traditional shotgun look more but for a pure defensive shotgun i wouldnt mind a saiga. so many choices, so little money i'll have to watch for the show on tv.
Old July 1, 2009, 09:52 PM   #19
shortwave

If things go bump in the night, IMO, silence is golden. The 1st gun I`ll grab will be the closest-a handgun. Hopefully I`ll make it to my nearby,well worn old trusty Rem. 1100. After some 25yrs. and many,many rds, its yet to fail me.
Old July 1, 2009, 11:03 PM   #20
only1najeep

I'll take the pump, It will feed most anything and you get that unmistakable sound that will send an intruder running.
NRA range safety officer
Old July 2, 2009, 12:40 AM   #21
mathman

In a real situation a pump probably has a higher chance of being 'short stroked' than a semi auto jamming (assuming a Benelli).

But either can fail...so, make your first shot count.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:25 AM   #22
greyson97

yeah, in the heat of the situation, shortstroking your pump would be fatal, and giving away your position is bad, esp if the perp doesnt poo their pants when he hears you chamber a round. and heaven forbid you need a second shot, pumping the shotgun could also be fatal if they had a pistol and you missed your first shot.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:52 AM   #23
Maser

Well, I think we can all agree here to use what you are most comfortable with in a defense scenario. I myself have shot all types of actions in shotguns and I find I'm more comfortable with a pump and I have my Mossberg 500 with the 18.5" bbl as my defense gun.

As for the intimidation factor I must say the sound of a shotgun being pumped is a rather distinctive sound. However I think a BG would be more intimidated by having a SxS shotgun pointed at them. Something about looking down two 12 gauge barrels is just very unsettling.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:28 AM   #24
IDAHOMIKE

Just my 2 cents here. A few months back I'm sure my roomie and I were on the verge of a home invasion. The meth heads do stupid stuff which is odd because EVERYone is armed around here. Anywho, main go to gun for HD is a 4 inch 629. In addition I always keep a KelTec 32 in my pocket. As for the scatterguns, the livin room contains a SxS 10 gauge with the barrels lopped to 21 inches. The hole up in the bedroom shotgun is a remington SP-10 with a 22 inch tube. Got a BPS in 10 on the way and not sure where that will fit in. My reasoning is that with limited capacity, I like the most potent round I can muster. Both 10's are full of Federal 3.5 inch 00 buck.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:52 AM   #25
darkgael

reliable

Quote:
The common opinion, which I share, is that the pump is the most reliable.
A pump gun (or a semi) more reliable than a SXS? I think not. More shots, yes -if you don't short stroke in the heat of action. More reliable? No.

Pete