The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Merad

Gen 1 Glock 17 with 348000 rounds fired

http://imgur.com/a/3O249/all

The letter translation, courtesy of a user at the forum where I first saw this:

Quote:

Dear gentlemen!

The hereby rendered weapon Glock 17 number AC 428 has been strained with 348'210 rounds during functional and endurance firing.

The firing has been done exclusively with Hirtenberger ammunition. The following types have been used mostly: 65% 30% 5%

Up to the mentioned number of bullets after which the barrel lacerated, no gross errors have occured.

The firing pin spring and recoil spring have each been replaced once.

The weapon would be fully functional again if fitted with a replacement barrel.

We remain with our best thanks for your obligingness sincerly yours

Hirtenberger incorporation
My main thoughts:

1. Can we agree that this settles the "how well will Glocks hold up???" questions?
2. The recoil and firing pin springs both averaged a life of ~170000 rounds. Certainly challenges those people who claim you "must" change them every few thousand rounds.
3. Even assuming an average cost of $0.10 per round, this $500 gun has fired $35,000 worth of ammo. Kind of mind boggling.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Mosin44az

I think Chuck Taylor has also run Glocks for a long, long time....
Old April 23, 2013, 12:06 AM   #3
LockedBreech

If 9mm ammo was $10 per 50 like it tends to be at my Wal-Mart, that would be almost $70,000 worth of ammo. Dang.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:20 AM   #4

Why should we believe this Report? Because they said so? Only 2 springs, sure. I'm not buying it. Nothing personal
Old April 23, 2013, 03:10 AM   #5
915A

Hec my 5.7 in COD has probably fired just as many, if not more than that, and not one issue other than running out of ammo All jokes aside if thats legit thats pretty impressive. I would like to think any good quality firearm if well maintained could achieve high marks like that. But I think I have read that just about every one of the major players in the business has had it fair share of lemons.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:45 AM   #6
simonrichter

Quote:
If 9mm ammo was $10 per 50 like it tends to be at my Wal-Mart, that would be almost $70,000 worth of ammo
Hirtenberger, the company which ran this test, is an Austrian ammo manufacturer - and as stated, they have helped themselves mostly with their own stuff
Old April 23, 2013, 06:58 AM   #7
PSP

It was signed "Hirtenberger incorporation"? No name, no position? Doesn't pass the sniff test at first read because of that, (as well as other reasons).
Old April 23, 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
simonrichter

Quote:
It was signed "Hirtenberger incorporation"? No name, no position? Doesn't pass the sniff test
Anyway seems to me that the text was shortened before being posted here, maybe dthere were more details originally...?
Old April 23, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
lee n. field

The letter is available as one of the images. Signed by an individual, on company letterhead.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 23, 2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Gaerek

Quote:
It was signed "Hirtenberger incorporation"? No name, no position? Doesn't pass the sniff test at first read because of that, (as well as other reasons).
http://imgur.com/a/3O249#1

I hope you can read German.

(It was in an image linked in the OP...someone just didn't bother to check.)
Old April 23, 2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

That's officially it....i hate Glocks now.
Someone is evidently spending too much time trying to prove the Glock is the best weapon ever myth.
It's ugly, the sights suck, the grip sucks, the brass to the face sucks, the Limpwrist issues suck, the myth sucks, and you have me standing here lying too!
Now go to bed young man, get off the calf-pow and energy drinks and reload me some ammo so i can shoot a half million rounds Trhough a jenning/jemenez and prove it's the best gun ever!

PS don't tell your mother or else!
Old April 23, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

I speak and read German, and the translation is substantially correct. I say "substantially" only because I'm pretty rusty. I see no glaring errors. The letter is signed by an engineer from Hirtenberger. Below the signature, you'll see "Ing. Goluch Karl-Heinz." The "Ing." is short for "Ingenieur" (if I've spelled it right), which means "engineer" in German. Given the spelling, I believe that it's been adopted into German from French.

ETA: As far as the translation on the kinds of ammo used (the block of text in the middle with numbers), I can't really vouch for that, because I don't know what the abbreviations mean, like VRMK, for example.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
simonrichter

Didn't get the link right before, now I could take a look at the document.

This is definitely NOT a fake, everything is exactly the way business correspondence of the mid-199ies would appear like (even the details at the header and footer are appropriate). It also makes sense since these two companies have worked together closely, one being the main supplier for ammunition for the Austrian Army, the other one for pistols...

Quote:
Given the spelling, I believe that it's been adopted into German from French.
LOL No, that's Austrian German. We like fancy sounding french vocabulary Everything else is interpreted 100% correctly, compliments to Merad and Spats McGee!

PS, for all who are interested in the abbrevations:
VMRK = full metal jacket, round nose
FL = factory load - that's English anyway
HP = "Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik", meaning "Hirtenberger Ammunition Plant"

Last edited by simonrichter; April 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I know that "Ingenieur" is used by both the Swabians and the Bavarians, . . . but I realize that's no guarantee that it's High German.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:22 AM   #15
simonrichter

Quote:
Swabians and the Bavarians
linguistically spoken, Austrian is actually a Bavarian accent. Anyway very impressive, your knowledge - have you spent some time in Germany or thelike?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Thank you, simonrichter, and yes, I have. The grand todal, broken down in three separate visits to Germany, was about 2.5 years. About a year and a half outside of Stuttgart, and about another year in Regensburg.

ETA: I didn't realize that Austrian was a Bavarian accent, either.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #17
simonrichter

Nice, at least one American who doesn't confuse Austria and Australia

Quote:
I didn't realize that Austrian was a Bavarian accent, either
Again, that's only true in terms of linguistic science. NEVER tell an Austrian, especially not a Tyrolean That would be like calling a guy from Georgia a yankee LOL
Old April 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

That is awesome. Read it and weep haters. You know they will...especially weep without even reading. lol
Old April 23, 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
This is definitely NOT a fake, everything is exactly the way business correspondence of the mid-199ies would appear like (even the details at the header and footer are appropriate).

I have a picture of a letter on a website saying this and has this company name on it as well as reference to someone who might exist....What if it's a fake letter?

What website is this?

Is it on the company that made the claim?

Do they have an interest to lie for their benifit?

Did they have a press release officailly?

Why did they spend so much money to do it? For Glock or sales of their ammmo?

Help me out i am missing something here.

Is what they and you are saying, like saying that Shell Gasoline ran a test on a chevy truck with a 5.7Ltr V8 and got 50 million miles using theier oil and gas and this proves that GM is the best?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

wreck-n-crew.... let it go. I know you're new on the forum. But just let it go. It's not worth it. Let the enthusiasts enjoy the post.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Fair enough, simonrichter. Going back to the photo of the letter, do you have any idea what the DW might stand for where it's "filemarked," for lack of a better term. (The blue ink at the top).

Also note that the letter is dated 1995. I wonder where that pistol is now?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Wreck-n-Crew

Constantine i thought we were suppose to be informative? Don't you want to know?
I mean heck im asking the right questions because i wan't to know that what i am reading is not political?

Did i seem to argumentative or suggestive....?
I don't mind big fish stories but i want to know if i can repeat it without looking like the girl on the insurance commercial who says they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:52 AM   #23
simonrichter

Quote:
I have a picture of a letter on a website saying this and has this company name on it as well as reference to someone who might exist....What if it's a fake letter?
I actually know the company, all the details are correct, and it would make no sense at all for anyone to fake that document. We all know that Glocks are quite tough, so who actually benefits from a statement that is just going a little more into detail on an issue that is anyway common knowledge...?

Questioning everything is wise.

Hanging on even in case every visible evidence points to the opposite, thats just stubborn, pardon my words.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

lol I'm a French model.

But really, and I apologize if I'm wrong. But your post before that last one. Tells me even if you get the answers you want. You still won't want to believe it and continue going on about it being "wrong".

Are you open minded about it? Tell me I'm wrong. Spats and Simon are figuring it out!
Old April 23, 2013, 10:56 AM   #25
tahunua001

Quote:
1. Can we agree that this settles the "how well will Glocks hold up???" questions?
no we can not. why? because Glock has severely fallen from the high road. that was a freak occurence in that glock, I defy anyone to grab a glock off their LGS shelves and run a third of a million rounds through it. that was also a generation 1 glock, the one that built glocks reputation. the new 3rd and 4th generation glocks are notorious for throwing brass in the shooters face and gen 4 had a full scale recall last year to address reliability issues that is still ongoing.

Quote:
2. The recoil and firing pin springs both averaged a life of ~170000 rounds. Certainly challenges those people who claim you "must" change them every few thousand rounds.
different standards of manufacture back then and even if it wasn't the springs used in modern glocks are completely different designs and none of them have seen stress tests anywhere close to 100,000 rounds no less 340,000.

Quote:
3. Even assuming an average cost of $0.10 per round, this $500 gun has fired $35,000 worth of ammo. Kind of mind boggling.
yes, quite mind boggling considering that nowadays it's closer to $100,000 in ammo prices.