The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2012, 11:16 PM   #76
RRHFactor

I've got the Nano, PPK/S, LCP, and Sig 239

Can I put the Nano in my Jean pocket....no. Then again I can't conceal carry my full size 1911 either unless I'm wearing a long sports coat. I can wear my Nano IWB in a desantis Tuck holster with no problem. As far as top heavy..my sign 239 in 40 Cal is a top heavy gun too.
For my jeans I have the LCP or a NAA pug 22 may. In my 5.11 tactical pants I can put the nano in a pocket. I'm 6 ft 180 lb.....it really boils down to what you feel comfortable with. I looked at the 290...didn't want to spend that much. Got the nano for $425. Not crazy about the lcp trigger...so didn't want to go LC9. Get want feels good to you.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:15 AM   #77
Stooge

My Kahr CM9 fits in a Size 3 Blackhawk holster and slides right into my pocket without a problem. The Nano, not so much. It's a little bigger, and heavier than the CM9. It's also bulkier due to its rather odd shape. Just feels clunky to me.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:08 AM   #78
Pianoguy

The Nano should have been a gun I'd want but so far I have not been tempted. I think the size is okay (shorter grip and relatively thin) for a pocket gun, I have pocket carried guns that were a little bigger okay. It's certainly small enough to comfortably carry IWB which I prefer anyways for carrying a gun all day. It's a Beretta so from my (slightly biased) standpoint that makes it cool even though it doesn't look like a Beretta otherwise (blocky and chunky). The price has been right. There were a few early reviews about problems with some ammo extracting and that sort of turned me off for a while (I'm not sure if they've been fixed or not). If I get in the mood for a small 9mm I will look at one again along with the P290 and PPS (maybe a Kahr CM9) but I think I'll just spend the extra money and get the PPS even though it's a little bigger. I've stopped looking for the smallest possible 9mm. They are all small enough for me.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:16 PM   #79
WildBill45

Quote:
Can I put the Nano in my Jean pocket....no.
You are wrong! It easily fits in most pockets of casual or jeans! Most who say this have never handled one, have you? I carry all the time in my pocket.

It is it can do when it comes out that pocket. Just to fit in a pocket is not the true story. If you can't hit the target it is a waste of money...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old March 14, 2012, 09:13 PM   #80
RRHFactor

wild bill your right

Bill your right I can get it in my wranglers front pocket but getting to it to get it out is very difficult for me especially if I carry it in a in pocket holster. I love it in a IWB holster...I have a couple including a desantis tuck that works great. In the front pocket I'll stick with my LCP. But Bill, I gotta tell you...I carry the nano more that most everything else...even picked up a small 5.11 fanny pack that it fits nicely in..I think I'm addicted to holsters
Old March 15, 2012, 12:21 AM   #81
paperpounder

I'm liking my CM9 more and more all of the time. It's been reliable as all heck and is a great summertime pocket gun.
Old March 16, 2012, 09:05 PM   #82
WildBill45

Quote:
But Bill, I gotta tell you...I carry the nano more that most everything else...even picked up a small 5.11 fanny pack that it fits nicely in..I think I'm addicted to holsters
After wearing holsters everyday on duty for almost 30 years, I find them useful but sometimes like to avoid them!

My hate list:

1. Divorce attorneys

2. Police Radios

3. taxes

4. Uncomfortable holsters

5. Lions outside my tent at night.

Old March 16, 2012, 09:31 PM   #83
iMagUdspEllr

Well, I know many people don't care about using sights on a gun for self defense. However, I prefer aimed fire (especially with a pocket pistol where it is easy enough to miss as it is combined with the very low magazine capacity.) And, I have not found any night sights released for the Beretta Nano yet.

I was interested in the Kimber Solo until I heard that it had reliability issues, it still doesn't have night sights available for it, and they seem to be making them at a rate slower than molasses.

As far as subcompact 9mms that are in my sights for my next purchase right now. The Sig 938 takes the cake. Night sights, 1911 trigger, ambidextrous safety, and 7+1 if you get the "extreme" version (other versions are 6+1).

If Kimber fixes the Solo and someone starts producing decent night sights for it, that might take the lead over the Sig. The fact that the Nano has no safety turns me off.

If I don't want to forget to flick the safety off, I can just leave it off and keep it in a holster. However, these are "pocket pistols" and I don't think it is too wise to have a these guys in your pocket without the safety on (IMHO).
Old March 16, 2012, 09:42 PM   #84
WildBill45

Quote:
The fact that the Nano has no safety turns me off.
That is because you are insecure, YOU ARE THE SAFETY!!!

Just like with a revolver, a Glock, and many others.

By the time you check YOUR MECHANICAL SAFETY up close and personal, you will already be dead, and being dead is inherently UNSAFE!!!

Get some confidence son!

Old March 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #85
iMagUdspEllr

@WildBill45 : I'm not the safety when the pistol is in my pocket and it is free to move around and get snagged on branches, store shelves, etc. I own a Glock, M&P, and a PPQ. I have no issues with them not having safeties because I can put them in holsters. Since we are talking about pocket pistols that you might throw in your pocket (or purse for the ladies), it is very useful to have the option of having the safety on. Also, if you read my post I said that I can just put the pistol in the holster and leave the safety off, its in the holster so it is secure and protected. I'm not insecure. Its just not wise to not have a safety on when the trigger is capable of being snagged by foliage (or random stuff in your purse for the ladies).

The bottom line is safety and training. Not protecting the trigger is asking to be shot in the leg. Not training with your gun to take the safety off is your fault, not the guns fault. Also, you can leave the safety off if you don't want to forget. I just like the OPTION of being able to have the safety on if it makes sense. Options are always better.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:33 AM   #86
zxd9

I pocket carry the Nano too. It is not one bit uncomfortable. Do I have a lump on my leg. Sure, it's obvious something is in my pocket. Does anyone notice? I highly doubt it.

If you live in a state where printing is bad, then pocket carrying anything over a .380 is probably not going to work.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:53 PM   #87
rsilvers

Quote:
To me the Nano is an in-betweener. It's not as lightweight, small or concealable as a Kahr CM9 /PM9 or Rohrbaugh R9, so it just doesn't optimally fit the CCW need.
Well, the Nano is the same 23 oz loaded as the PM9. Weight matters more to me than size. The Rohrbaugh R9 is lighter by 3 oz when loaded, but is like $1000, and I find it unlikely it will last as long as a Nano when being shot.

The price is much lower than the Kahr, and it looks higher-end to me.

But the real value is the S&W Shield - $389 or so.

Then there is the Walther PPS - $700 or so - which to me says it was priced before there was competition as their new mid-size PPQ M2 is cheaper and way-awesome.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:47 AM   #88
dean1818

If your determined to pocket carry, also consider a LCR.

IMHO, they print less and draw MUCH faster than a CM9

I personally went away from pocket carry, and now solely carry
a Shield or a M&P45C

The CM9 was nice that I had, but I shoot the M&P platform so much better,

I also didnt like the long trigger of the CM9

Buying American made, wherever I still can