The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
brotus2

Good walkie talkie for 1000 yards.

Shooting 1000 yards at Blakely, GA and am looking for a good set of walkie talkies for communication between the pit and the line. No hunting, just shooting. Thanks.
Old July 29, 2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Just about any set of modern 2-way radios should handle that distance easily.
Old July 29, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
PawPaw

As long as it's line-of-sight, any Wal-Mart walkie talkie set should handle 1000 yards. I'm assuming a rifle range is line of sight? I've got a set of Motorola radios that should do just fine at that range.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 29, 2012, 02:37 PM   #4
TheBear

I use albrecht tactical, cheap and solid...
Old July 29, 2012, 03:04 PM   #5
skoro

Good walkie talkie for 1000 yards.

I have a set of those "bubble pack" Midland black and silver walkie-talkies that cost about $60. I can talk about a mile in the city and about three times that far in rural areas. And they're loud and clear over those distances.
Old July 29, 2012, 04:45 PM   #6
mrawesome22

We use old Nextel phones set to walkie talkie mode.

sudo apt-get update
Old July 30, 2012, 04:22 AM   #7
saands

The only possible complication that I can see is if EVERYONE at the range is using the common ones (FRS/GMRS IIRC) ... even though they have privacy codes, that just means that you won't be interrupted by other conversations on your channel ... but you will still be interfered with if there is a lot of chatter ... meaning that if two people with different privacy codes talk on the same frequency at the same time, then nobody gets to understand anything In that case, you'd be better served by one of the spread spectrum handsets ... I can't recall the brand name, but there is one that is not all that pricey that should work really well at that range. I just googled it ... the brand is TriSquare.

Saands
Old July 30, 2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

For the range, any $60 blister pack radio should do okay. We used a set of Midlands that worked well for a couple of years. Motorolas didn't hold as well. We use two ways to talk while hunting and eventually up graded to a nice pair of Kenwood radios. They are just awesome but a tad more expensive.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Lemmon

Get a Ham Radio License.....

Getting a ham radio licensed used to require you to learn morse code and a lot of technical electronic information. Exams were only given by the FCC . Today you no longer have a code requirement and the questions to the exams are provided for you online. Exams are given by local Ham Radio clubs. A simple 2 meter radio is cheap and the range much greater than some of the free service rigs. You might even enjoy communication with other hams. I have enjoyed the hobby for over 30+ years and still do. Forgive me for suggesting amateur radio, but I could not resist the opportunity to toot my horn.

Check out: www.arrl.org

Lemmon
Old July 31, 2012, 05:15 AM   #10
pcmentor29

eXRS Digital Two-Way Radio

TriSquare TSX100-2VP eXRS Digital Two-Way Radio (Pair) - Charcoal Metallic/Black

http://amzn.com/B000WY77VE

I think these have 1000 channels
Old August 3, 2012, 01:04 AM   #11
SteelChickenShooter

I have a pair of Motorola 6220 Talkabouts. They have been great for local communication between separated parties such as fish camp, deer camp, on top of the roof or in the attic or crawlspace. The controls and menu choices are a little busy. But if you set them both up correctly, and each one is on the right settings when turned on, and you learn how to use them, they do a nice job.