The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2001, 02:02 PM   #1
Moe

Anyone know how long one should last. The wear you have seen give you some idea? Does Benelli or some one else give a round count as to when to expect parts to wear out?

I just got one and want some Idea as to how many rounds it should last.

Thanks
Old January 31, 2001, 03:02 AM   #2
DML

I have seen a few M1 S90s with at least 8000 round through them. The only problem both had was the hole in the hammer wore out the shaft that it pivots on. As a result, the hammer would not drop when the trigger was pulled. Replacing the hammer and shaft fixed the problem.

One note on durability. I have seen 870s and Mossberg 590s with 3 and 4 times that many rounds through them with no problems.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:26 PM   #3
Moe

Thanks DML. I will keep an eye on those parts on an annual teardown(full) inspection and lube.

Old February 1, 2001, 11:54 AM   #4
Corey

Hey Moe,

Congrats on the Benelli. I talked to a couple of guys here in Ontario about the Benelli about what they thought of them and everyone that knew anything about them say the are a good shotgun. You now have me wanting one.
Old February 2, 2001, 01:28 AM   #5
Moe

Hey Corey. Glad to see your here on TFL. If you come down east again we will have to do some birds. Show you that I can still miss even with a Benelli. Ha Ha.

The gun is a 28" barrel with 3" chamber. The 3" is fine with me as 3 1/2" would just rattle my already fragile head and I use bismuth or tungston shot any way. The gun is also in realtree so I can setit down for a dump in the woods and lose it. Remember how long it took to find my Ithaca!

Moe
Old February 2, 2001, 08:04 AM   #6
Corey

Moe,

There is only one problem with buying a new shotgun and still miss the clays, you can't blame it on the old shotgun anymore. That is why I stick with the 870, I can say it is the gun and not my pathetic group placement.
Old February 4, 2001, 12:26 AM   #7
Turk

Corey,

I'll 2nd that. I purchase a Benelli SBE last Sept. Seemed like I missed more ducks this year. Everytime I missed, I'd be thinking why didn't I bring my Browning A-5 that I've shot for over 28 years. I know it isn't me maybe getter a little older?

Turk