The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 25, 2011, 01:41 PM   #1
UbelKraft

Browning X-Bolt Scop/Ring Combination?

I have a new Browning X-Bolt, Stalker, .338 Win Mag (RMEF Edition). My new 50mm Leupold VX-3, "Long Range" (30 mm tube) is on order. Browning's web site says the intermediate X-Lock ring/base combo will do the trick. Has anyone done this before on this rifle (or any x-bolt)? What I'm trying to avoid is buying three sets of rings and shipping them back when they don't fit...I've found on other forums where some owners had trouble with the dimensions from Browning so they had to buy another set of rings...none of them gave specifics and the posts were all ancient.

I'm pretty much set on the X-Lock integrated ring/base combo (30mm). I really like Leupold, but the the concept of the x-lock is intriguing and I want to give it a whirl.

The cannon is at the smithy now getting ported (I heard a .338 in a 6.5 lb frame might buck a little)...so I'll post pictures when it gets home.

Last edited by UbelKraft; May 25, 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Bad punctuation
Old May 25, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
GURU1911

Scope rings ???

If your new scope has an objective 50mm, you will need a medium height set of leupold rings.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 25, 2011, 06:34 PM   #3
UbelKraft

Thanks;
Just ordered them. I'll post how this works out when I'm done...with Pics of course.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
GURU1911

SCOPE RINGS

WHEN MOUNTING SCOPES WITH AN OBJECTIVE < 50MM, THE LOW RINGS MADE BY BURRIS / LEUPOLD / REDFIELD ARE THE CORRECT CHOICE.
THE SCOPE SHOULD ALWAYS BE MOUNTED AS CLOSE TO THE RECEIVER & BARREL, WITHOUT TOUCHING EITHER, AND WITH MINIMAL CLEARANCE AT THE EYEPIECE FROM THE BOLT HANDLE. RINGS & BASES SHOULD ALWAYS BE MADE OF STEEL & ALIGNED & LAPPED WITH A SINCLAIR STEEL LAPPING ROD.

GURU'S SHOP RULE FOR TELESCOPIC SIGHTS: "THE PRICE OF THE OPTICAL SYSTEM (base, rings, & scope) SHOULD EQUAL OR EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE RIFLE"

LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE PHOTOS & GLAD I COULD HELP YOU.

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old September 11, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
UbelKraft

Mid height worked great

Fit a 50mm, Leupold VX-III, 30 mm tube with the X-Lock mid/standard height rings. Has about 1/16" clearance. Not enough room for standard scope caps (used Leupold screw-in caps instead...just put them on the scope before mounting).

Tags
browning , leupold , ring , x-bolt , x-lock