The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 25, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
salvadore

hi-power

I have an Israeli surplus Hi-Power that will move the sear when on safe and cannot be taken off safe until the hammer reengages the sear,,,anyone know how to fix this?
Old August 25, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
mete

Probably the best option is to replace the hammer and sear.Get a good gunsmith to do it and check out the whole gun.
Old August 27, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
salvadore

Well as far as I can tell the safety blocks the hammer and the sear, however the sear on this particular shooter moves enough to allow it to disengage the hammer. Since the sear isn't blocked enough to allow no movement I wonder if the safety is the problem. I really don't want to replace the hammer and sear and find out my safety is the problem.

thought about shortening the lever that actuates the ...anyway lotsa levers involved between trigger and hammer.....Anyone have an idea which part may need to be replaced?
Old August 27, 2011, 03:53 PM   #4
triggerman770

hi-power

hammer and sear and new pins for both. do not try to shrten the "levers" as you described. If that gun is Isreali surplus it probably has 50K rounds thru it
www.georgiacarry.org
Old August 28, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
salvadore

Okee Pokee, thanks for the advice.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:28 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Top US shops for pistolsmith work on Hi-Powers(P-35 clones)...

If you plan to carry or use the the milspec P35 clone for defense, I'd have a top gunsmith shop like Cylinder & Slide in NE or Chestnut Mt Sports(Karl Sokal) in VT look it over.
A trained gunsmith may need to replace or repair some of the 9mm pistol's parts.
They can also make sure the P-35 model is safe to carry/fire.

CF
Old August 30, 2011, 03:53 AM   #7
salvadore

Thanks for the info. Is a FN manufactured Hi-Power a clone? I think I got it figured. I put the safety and sear back in the shooter and it appears that part of the safety that interferes with the movement of the sear isn't long enough block its travel completely. Considering peening that part of the safety to lengthen.

Tonite I found an internet article addressing the same problem I am having and he conluded the same reason, but suggested having a GS add metal and dress it down to fit. I'm not sure how hard it would be to add metal to a small piece like that without melting it down. Gonna try peening first, safeties are available if that is not successful. Thanks again.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:59 AM   #8
MLeake

FN a clone? No.

FN has always made the Hi Power, originally called the Grand Puissance. Browning imported them to the US under the Browning name, but everywhere else in the world they are FN.

John Browning was the initial designer of the P35 for FN, but died before completion of the project.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:09 AM   #9
WVsig

Get a new hammer and sear I recommend C&S parts. They will not only fix the problem but will improve the trigger pull. They can be bought from Midway or Brownells. I would never mess with adding metal to this parts. IMHO you are setting yourself up for a ND.

The C&S parts are pretty much drop in. I little prep is all that is required.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:23 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

IDF P35 Hi-Power?...

I'm a tad confused by the reply messages.
Was this Hi Power 9x19mm from Israel or the IDF?
Was it produced by FN in Belgium for use by Israeli forces or police?

Sal's first topic post stated the Hi-Power pistol was a Israeli surplus.

Thx & Shalom!
Old September 5, 2011, 08:16 AM   #11
salvadore

Yes, it's an Israeli surplus FN Hi-Power.