The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2011, 09:58 AM   #1
jimijammer1

Opinion on thumb safety on 1911

Just want opinions on single side or ambidextrous safety on 1911
type pistols. Which would you prefer and why?
Old August 13, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
GURU1911

1911 thumb safety

A stainless "ed brown" wide, single lever has been my favorite for almost 20 years. If you want an ambi-model, the ed brown is still the best available.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old August 13, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
dahermit

Ambidextrous safeties on the 1911 are often stated to be an absolute need by left-handed persons. Other shooters have stated that an ambi safety is a liability for carry inasmuch as there has been a higher reported propensity for the safety to become unintended disengaged while in the holster. Nevertheless, some right-handed shooters have stated that they want an ambi safety for the possibility of being wounded in the right hand or arm and have to operate the gun left handed.
My Colt Combat Commander XSE came with an ambi safety, My Colt Combat Commander circa 1970's did not. I prefer no ambi, so does Ruger ala SC1911.
It likely comes down to preferances more than practical need...unless a lefty.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4
brickeyee

I am right handed, and the only alteration I like is a Gunsite lowered thumb safety.

I have a fused thumb joint (metacarpal to proximal phalange) and it allows a better grip with a lower thumb position riding on top of the lever.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Hawg

My last 1911 had an ambi safety when I got it. First thing I did was take it off and throw it away.
Old August 13, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6
TXGunNut

I tried one on a carry gun, didn't last long. I'm a righty but can manipulate the standard safety when shooting left handed. Now and then I brushed off the standard safety with slide holsters but it was an everyday occurrence with an ambi safety. It and the forward serrations are the only features I don't like on Colt's XSE's. Dunno what I'll do with the serrations but the safety will have to make a home in my parts box.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 13, 2011, 01:50 PM   #7
triggerman770

thimb safety

Some think it important to have an ambi safety incase your strong hand it injured. while that is a valid point I prefer a single safety. I put an abi on my son-in-laws 1911 because hie is a lefty. I aslo installed and ambi slide stop.
the safety had a new sear pin that was slotted so the lever could fit thru to loack the right side on. that would be the only kind I would use. there are several brands available like that now.
www.georgiacarry.org
Old August 13, 2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

safety

Sir;
If you like a weak handed safety, Ed Brown is excellent. It's up to you.
The mil-spec safety is really O.K. too.
Harry B.
Old August 13, 2011, 09:44 PM   #9
orionengnr

Are you a lefty? If not, an ambi safey is more of a liability than an asset (IMHO).

Of the 1911s that I have owned, one came with an ambi sfety. While carrying it IWB (right handed) the thumb safety was repeatedly wiped off by getting into/out of my vehicle (a friend experienced the same issue). Not a problem per se but not a good thing either. Changing to a traditional single side safety solved that.

The next 1911 with an ambi safety had the two sides become sloppy very quickly (the connection between the two sides developed some slop). Again, I had it replaced with an Ed Brown single sided safety.

The third time I bought a 1911 with an ambi safety, I did not wait for a problem...just had it swapped out.

See a pattern?
Old August 13, 2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Hunter Customs

I prefer a thumb safety single sided just like the one on this gun. I don't want any extended or oversized controls of any kind on my CCW guns.
I have no trouble disengaging this safety when needed and I've never had one like this disengage accidently.

Hey, Harry Bonar it's good to see you back on these boards again.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 14, 2011, 01:54 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...in case your strong hand it injured..." Silly shooting game thing. If you're hurt, you're done.
Ambidextrous anything is a personal preference thing. Different thing for a left handed shooter. Mind you, there's no reason a left handed shooter needs an ambidextrous anything either.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:52 AM   #12
Harry Bonar

safety

Sirs;
I agree that an ambi is not necessary. I have them on several 1911s but I can get by nicely with the old G.I. safety as Hunter has on that fine looking 1911 - Good to be back after 3 heart attacks and gall bladder surgery - I'm doing fine, weed-eating, boat building and, of course playing with guns!
Harry B.
Old August 14, 2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Slamfire

Quote:
Ambidextrous safeties on the 1911 are often stated to be an absolute need by left-handed persons. Other shooters have stated that an ambi safety is a liability for carry inasmuch as there has been a higher reported propensity for the safety to become unintended disengaged while in the holster.
The long levers of this ambi safety kept on disengaging which is why this pistol goes to the range in a box, then stays in the safe in a box. I am not carrying it any more!

Shooting it is OK.

Old August 26, 2011, 08:03 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

Harry Bonar,
Thanks for the kind words about the gun I posted a picture of.
Harry I have a project I would like to discuss with you. When you have time would you please e-mail me at [email protected].
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 26, 2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Bob:
Ah-HA!
I have been wondering who did that up-swept grip safety and bobbed hammer in lieu of the now common beavertail and burr.
I'll show the picture to FLG if I pretty up a scruffy looking gun instead of trading it off.

Slam:
A session with metal cutting tools or a catalog would eliminate your complaint with that gun.

I have ambi safeties on a couple of game guns but I soon discarded the one that came on my SA Ultra Compact hideout gun.

If I were lefthanded, I would want an ambi safety so I could draw and prep the gun with the same motion as the dextrous majority. An ambi safety does not have to be an extended safety. There are some new designs in the works that hope to be more durable than the old tongue and groove design meant for occasional use in competition.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:45 AM   #16
OJ

Quote:
brickeyee

I am right handed, and the only alteration I like is a Gunsite lowered thumb safety.
I second that choice - at age 85, my hands are somewhat arthritis and the Gunsite fits me fine.

The ambis I've tried all bothered my trigger finger knuckle - and I have no urge to shoot left-handed.

YMMV
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER