The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Johnny O.

Yard sell special .50 cal needs work.

Hi yall, please excuse the terminology, I’m new to black powder.
My father-in-law gave me a .50 TC New Englander. It has a striped out nipple hole and a broken hammer. Replacing the hammer will be strait forward but could use some advice on fixing the hole. Looks like I can replace the breach plug and put a new nipple in but guidance from people that know and maybe some one could hook me up with a parts diagram and some good sources for parts other than the TC web site. Also, what else should I look for in the way of serviceability? There is no visible damage other than the nipple and hammer.

Johnny O.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:13 PM   #2
mykeal

Replacing the breech plug is not recommended, and I believe T/C considers that a breach of the warranty. The New Englander has a 1/4x28 threaded nipple. It can be carefully drilled out and rethreaded to a 6mm metric M6x1 thread; there are readily available nipples in that size from all retailers.

I'm not aware of parts diagrams for the New Englander, perhaps someone else has a source. As for the parts themselves, Thompson Center can very likely provide a hammer, and the M6x1 nipples are available at Track of the Wolf and several other internet sites.

The rifle bore needs to be carefully inspected for two conditions: rust pitting and bulges. While a good bore light is useful in checking for rust pitting, a better method is to use a dry patch on a cleaning jag and note the resistance as you push the patch down the bore. Rust pits will create a significant drag on the patch. You can check for bulges at the same time by noting a sudden change in the amount of force necessary to move the patch.

A bulge in the bore will make the rifle unsafe to shoot. Rust pitting may be correctable with a good rust remover, a bore brush and elbow grease.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Pahoo

Quote:
hook me up with a parts diagram and some good sources for parts other than the TC web site.
Don't know why you are negating T.C. Service to help you resolve the problems. I have delt with them on many occasion and somewhat surprised as to how far they will go to help. Most breech plugs can be replaced and have replaced a T.C. Hawken. You did not mention the condition of the bore. Brush and swab the bore several times and then take a look. Look for any deep pitting at the nipple area, bore and the outside. Also look for any barrel rings or bulges on the outside of the barrel. If all looks good, you are good to go, after you make your repairs. I have a New Englander but prefer the octogon barrels. They also made a shotgun barrel for this model, if you can find one. Most of the parts on side-lock have generic names that are common and understood by most. Go back into the T.C. website and see if you can locate this information. Also contact Cain Outdoors as they carry "some" T.C. parts and i'm sure that there are others out there. It won't take much to get this shooting again. Good luck and enjoy !!

Be Safe !!!
Old December 28, 2008, 09:54 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Let TC fix it for you.
Old December 29, 2008, 01:31 AM   #5
Johnny O.

It’s not that I’m trying to side step TC. Their site didn’t have any info so I sent customer service an email explaining the problem and I haven’t heard for them yet. I would call but I am deployed to Iraq right now and I use all my phone time to call home. I’m just trying to learn all I can about it so I’m better prepared when I get home. Or at least can sound like I know what I’m talking about. I’m sure I can find time to make that call if I need to though.
So when I get back I’ll clean and check out the barrel real good. Assuming it is ok I would like to order the parts be it from TC or whoever and replace the nipple myself or have a gunsmith replace the nipple and /or breach plug. That all kind of depends on what TC tells me. I have a feeling they are going to tell me to ship it to them and let them fix it. Maybe by the time I pay shipping and wait for it I could have gotten the parts and taken it to a local gunsmith and be out on the range shooting by the time I would have gotten it back
I thank you all for your help
Johnny O.
Old December 29, 2008, 02:40 AM   #6
arcticap

TC does nearly every repair for free and they usually have a quick turnover time.
I wouldn't trust most gunsmiths with changing a breechplug as much as I would trust TC.
Plus most of the replacement breechplugs available are removed from old guns and sold as parts on eBay.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:58 AM   #7
mykeal

T/C Customer Service's response to email is poor to nonexistent. I doubt you will hear from them that way. However, they are excellent on the phone as many have found out. Wait until you get home and give them a call, or have a friend or relative make the call for you.

And thanks for your service.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
T/C Customer Service's response to email is poor to nonexistent.
Well said and as on two occasions, they never did get back to me. I have had better luck over the phone. Their website explains the repair procedure and it's important to enclose a note, stating the problems "first" and then "suggest" what you like them to do. The note is very important. Just send it off to the repair address and I assure you, they will take care of it just fine.

By the way, from one Vet. to another, thank you for your service may God protect you.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 29, 2008, 11:52 AM   #9
grymster2007

I don’t get it mykeal; 6mm is smaller than 1/4".
Old December 29, 2008, 02:00 PM   #10
sundance44s

DixieGunWorks does sell over size nipples for such problems I`ve used them ......but with T/C like others have said ...give them a call chances are they will fix it for free ....let them do it ....their turn around is fast about 2 weeks most of the time .
Old December 29, 2008, 05:24 PM   #11
mykeal

Quote:
I don’t get it mykeal; 6mm is smaller than 1/4".
Ah, yes, it is. Oops. I read the wrong line on my thread specs chart. I meant to say M8x1, which is almost exactly 5/16x24. There are nipples available in both those thread specs also.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:46 PM   #12
grymster2007

Quote:
I meant to say M8x1, which is almost exactly 5/16x24.
Now that sounds like the ticket.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:03 AM   #13
Johnny O.

Thanks guys, for the help….advice taken….I’ll send it to TC. I got an out of office reply to that email so I’m going to wait till after the new year to give them time to get back to work and take the time to give them a call and have my wife send it in.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:42 AM   #14
Johnny O.

Well here it is over a year later, but I have an up date on the muzzle loader. I got back from Iraq, moved to Ft. Carson. After getting here I finally sent that .50 cal to TC. They replaced everything but the stock, sent it back, and didn’t charge a thing! It has a 26” barrel now instead of a 24 but I’m not complaining. It’s probably better that way.
Old May 9, 2010, 01:19 AM   #15
arcticap

Yaabaadaabaadoo! Good for you!
And please tell us how it shoots when you get around to it too!
Old May 9, 2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Pahoo

Surely speaks well for Thompson Center (TC). Welcome home and thank you for your service!!
Now take her out and make smoke !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #17
robhof

robhof

Glad to hear TC still has great customer service. I've dealt with them in the past and always got great service. Enjoy your 50, I got my 1st deer with a TC Hawkins this year, and it was bang flop at 90yds.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:43 PM   #18
Hawg

Is this the same Johnny O. from G&G?
Old May 9, 2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Johnny O.

what is G&G? i guess that would mean i'm not the same Johnny O.
i see your from MS. i'm from Meridian but haven't lived there for 18yrs..