The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 28, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Huffmanite

Shortening a 1891 Argentine Magazine

I bought a slightly sporterized 1891 Argentine 7.65 mauser for deer hunting back in the mid 60s. After well over a 30 year absence from guns and shooting, I decided to have my 91 argy rebarreled to 257 Roberts and put it in a nice sporter stock. It looked good and shot quite well for me. However, I never did much care for the looks of its original single stack magazine that protrudes well below the wood.

So, a couple of weeks ago I finally tried to shorten a spare 91 Argy trigger guard and magazine I'd had for some time. My goal was for the magazine to hold 3 cartridges, instead of 5. However, best I could come up with was a two cartridge magazine. This was OK with me, I don't hunt, just shoot paper at a local private range.

LOL, the original follower assembly in a 91 Argy is a little more complicated than the spring and follower in double stack mauser magazine. Due to this, I found a couple of coil springs at a local Ace Hardware store and made a follower assembly that would feed well, but it held only two cartridges. So, I played around with the original 91 follower assembly and modified it to work. But, it still held only held 2 cartridges and I couldn't come up with an easy way for me to make the follower assembly removeable from the magazine. With the coil spring one I could easily make it removeable and was able to eliminate the retaining bolt in front of the magazine too.

With a shortened magazine I could then recontour the trigger guard, rounding off the flat part of it that butted against the magazine.

Pics comparing the old trigger guard with the new one and the rifle itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030473.JPG (153.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P1030485.jpg (49.7 KB, 62 views)