The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Johnnyshotgun

how can you remove an ithaca 37 dsps forend grip?

i bought an ithaca 37 featherlight ds police special about 6 months ago. i've benn able to almost disasemble it completely except for the forend grip and i am hoping some one could help me understand how without breaking the wood.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
HiBC

Are you asking about how to remove the slide?Look onthe underside of the bolt.You will see a pin with a groove in it.Put a screwdriver tip in that slot,and notice it is spring loaded and you can move it.Pull it away from the slide,and the slide will pull forward..You'll have to take the mag tube cap off,and if you aren't careful,the mag spring will fly out.As far as taking the wood off the slide,I'd leave it alone unless you must,for some reason.Forward end of the slide ,I believe is a threaded ring.It has two slots.I would probably make a proper tool to not bugger them up.
This is from memory,have not looked at one in a while.
Old January 18, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Johnnyshotgun

thank you for the insight on how to remove the slide. that too was bugging me on how it was done. i was just hoping to refinsh the wood and coat it with poly. it's old and in need of work.

Last edited by Johnnyshotgun; January 18, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
31kilo

I have a rubber pachmeyer cruiser pistol grip, and fore end I'll trade ya for that wood......Just saying.

Old January 21, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Johnnyshotgun

well in order to trade you gotta let me know how to remove it. lol.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:54 PM   #6
frank 501

Naturally, you have to remove the slide first. If you look at the metal ring (the slide nut) on the front of the slide you will see two notches. Now, the first thing you need to understand, is that when the nut is screwed on, the the metal in the notches is peened to keep the nut from loosening. The best way to remove the nut is to lock a piece of metal, with the same thickness of the notches in a vice, so that about 1/4" is protruding from the top of the vice. The one piece of metal has to be long enough to engage both notches. You then position the metal in the notches, and while applying downward pressure, you unscrew it. It will take a little muscle because of the peening. To reassemble it, you pretty much reverse the order of disassembly, remembering to peen the notches when you're done.