The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Malamute

Removing Ruger 77 front sight band?

I have a Ruger 77 that I'm going to have the barrel shortened on. My Smith said he'd done them before, but wasn't able to get the factory ramp/band off the old barrel stub. He took the set screw out, but wasnt able to get the band off, even with a torch and press. Are there special incantations to be said to get the band off, or secret methods, or do you just toss them in the scrap pile and put another ramp on them? It's an early 70's gun if it matters.

Thanks for any info.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 26, 2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Scorch

The special incantation sounds like this:
Hmmmmmmm. Have you seen the parting tool?

I doubt you can get it off without trashing it. Get a replacement.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=573443
Old January 26, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Malamute

The parting tool incantation is probably as far as it will go.

I've grown to like the Williams Shorty ramps with a sourdough blade. Rather clean and simple, and a very good sight. I was just hoping to be able to use the original sight if it was practical. It's not looking likely so far.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 26, 2010, 02:52 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Well as long as you are shortening the barrel , that pesky band should come off with the piece you cut off . The barrel is tapered so it's not going back on anyway . If you need a front sight you'll have to screw a ramp onto it .
Old January 27, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Malamute

"...The barrel is tapered so it's not going back on anyway . If you need a front sight you'll have to screw a ramp onto it."

The band can be reamed to fit, just as an aftermarket banded sight would be. I like to have ramps sweated on. Makes them more resistant to my, uh, "special abilities". Not that I can't knock a sweated on ramp off, it just takes more work and talent.