The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
leadcounsel

How to make hardwood handgun grips

So, I was examining some hardwood grips for my 1911 and CZ75 P01, and it occurred to me that with a dremmel tool, some small chisels, and sand paper and a little patience it would be relatively easy to make a set of grips.

I have a pile of scrap solid hardwood oak flooring, and could easily get scraps of other types of hardwood; even just the 6" end bits that are usually thrown away.

I bet that I can get a near endless supply of hardwoods, maybe even exotic ones, for free on Craigslist from people that would otherwise just toss them.

Anyone here have advice or experience? Not looking to start a business, but wittle some wood to relax and make some personal hand made grips for my various guns, including my CZ82.

Thanks!
Old January 26, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

You need a coping saw, some rasps, files, a drill, drill bits, and sandpaper.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

For most handguns, not at all hard if you are a woodworker. A few guns, like the Walthers with wrap-around grips, would be a problem except for a skilled worker, but ordinary grips would be no sweat. (Even I have made grips for a M1911, and I am at the very bottom on the wood working skill level.)

If you succeed in turning out basic grips, the next step might be to buy some checkering tools (Brownells) and learn to checker.

There are some tricks, though. For example, the M1911 grips should be set up so the screws stop on the bushings, just touching the wood. If they crush the wood, they will loosen up.

Jim