The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Catfish25p2000

What Timney for a BRNO 98 action?

Hello, I am building a .270 on a BRNO VZ-24 action. I am trying to get a Timney trigger for it and don't know if I should get the K98, or the 98FN trigger. Anyone know what trigger I need for this build? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old January 20, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
plainsman456

The 98k i think.Now you have to figure what one you want safety on trigger or not.All of mine have the safety on the bolt,but one.It is a bold trigger and I still am not use to it.
Old January 21, 2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Catfish25p2000

I just called my gunsmith and he said get the FN. I'm confused now.
Old January 21, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
PetahW

I would think that, since FN factory actions don't have a bolt sleeve mounted safety, the proper trigger for one would have an integral safety.

Further, since the 98k DOES have a bolt sleeve mounted safety as issue, it would follow that a trigger for a 98k would have NO safety integrated into it.

Like plainsman said - the choice is yours.

In the absence of information on exactly how your rifle is outfitted, the Timney/FN trigger/safety would either replace an existant trigger w/safety, or replace a non-safety trigger with a trigger and safety, resulting with a rifle that has TWO safeties - one on the bolt sleeve, the other on the Timney/FN trigger.
Which, BTW, is what many converters do - to keep the EZ bolt disassembly via sleeve safety method, while also having the convenience of a scopable side safety.

Other converters swap out the military Mauser bolt sleeve (w/safety) for an FN-type safty-less bolt sleeve - and install a trigger safety.

Old January 21, 2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Catfish25p2000

I guess I am a little confused. The original gunsmith that was going to build the gun for me was going to put a timney trigger on it, and get a timney scope safety. That sounds fine to me. I don't care if it is a trigger safety, I just want one that will work with a scope. If I get an FN safety, I would have the bolt sleeve safety that I wouldn't be able to use due to the scope, and a trigger safety that I could use, right?
Old January 23, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
PetahW

If I get an FN safety, I would have the bolt sleeve safety that I wouldn't be able to use due to the scope, and a trigger safety that I could use, right?

Well, you're only slightly confused.

A) Commercial FN Mauser rifle BOLT SLEEVES have no provision for a bolt safety - so, aftermarket triggers for FN rifles have a safety as part of the trigger group.

B) Military Mausers (98k) bolt sleeves DO have a bolt safety - so, aftermarket triggers for them have no safety as part of the trigger group.

C) Besides acting as a safety, Military Mausers use the bolt sleeve safety to hold the parts in situ for EZ bolt disassembly. Commercial FN's need help to disassemble the bolt for repair or maintainence.

SO......... IF you put the Timney/FN trigger, with side scope safety on your 98k - you will have one usable, day-to-day scope side safety on the trigger group, AND the original 98k bolt sleeve safety to use only for bolt disassembly.

IF you install the Timney/FN trigger, AND also don't want the extra, old, 98k, bolt sleeve safety - the entire bolt sleeve can be switched out for a safety-less FN-type sleeve, leaving you with a rifle that has a single trigger group scope-friendly side safety.

IF, on the other hand, you install the Timney trigger w/o a safety - the 98k bolt sleeve safety can be switched/converted to a low-scope type safety lever (quite common), leaving you with (again) a single scope-friendly safety, but atop the bolt sleeve ILO aside the trigger.

Either will work:
a low-scope, bolt-sleeve-mounted, Timney safety
- or -
a side safety on the Timney trigger.

It's your choice.

Old January 24, 2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Catfish25p2000

Cool, I get it now. Thanks a lot for explaining.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:07 PM   #8
swcr

While the current production FN bolt actions may not have a bolt sleeve mounted safety the old FN Mauser commercial hunting rifles from the 40s-60s did. The deluxe rifles had a bolt sleeve mounted firing pin block safety. These can be converted to a low swing safety for around $30 to work with a scope. They can also be converted to a two position M70 style safety utilizing the factory bolt sleeve or to a 3 position M70 style with a new bolt sleeve. The supreme rifles had a trigger type safety. The Timmney trigger that is listed for the FN is for the old style FN Mauser action with the bolt sleeve mounted safety, therefore the trigger does not have a safety.

Eugene