The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
DOUGHBOY RACING

What products would you use to obtain this finish on an AK47

What color as well, wood is Walnut

Last edited by DOUGHBOY RACING; January 20, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
tINY

Looks like the metal parts are blued - so a hot salt tank.

For the wood, Danish oil, Tung oil, or "Gunstock" oil. Lots of fine sanding, oil rubbing, steel wooling, oil rubbing, burnishing, oil rubbing....

-tINY

Old January 20, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
DOUGHBOY RACING

Matt from Ironwood has got me using a Low Gloss Tung Oil,, mutiple coats then gonna buff it with a Steel Wool pad, after a few coats it is looking nice, not as dark as I was hoping bur close
Old January 20, 2010, 04:18 PM   #4
SilentHitz

Quote:
not as dark as I was hoping bur close
I put about 12 coats on a carbine stock before I got the darkness I wanted...just takes time waiting for each application to dry. I like the way it brings out the grain though.

http://k5fv.com/
Old January 20, 2010, 04:23 PM   #5
dondavis3

Yours is sure pretty.

Mine looks like hell but sure shoots well.

Mine came this way and I frankly never thought to pretty it up.

Old January 20, 2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Pahoo

You know, it's quite common to stain Walnut to achieve the color you want. One of the last stock I did, I used a Red Mahogony stain. Another, I used a Buckeye stain that's a darker color. As far as the final finish, there are many choices and those of us who have finished stocks, have our favorites. As for me, I just can't get past Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil. Whatever you get, make sure it will stand up to the weather or rated for outdoor use. Do some experimenting on scrap pieces of Walnut and this might be worth your time. By the way, I have heard more than one GunSmith say that you can't stain ugly old and weathered Birch but it can be done. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 20, 2010, 05:44 PM   #7
dondavis3

Pahoo

Is my AK stock Birch?

Or What?
Old January 20, 2010, 05:50 PM   #8
DOUGHBOY RACING

Looks like a laminate Birch to me
Old January 20, 2010, 05:52 PM   #9
DOUGHBOY RACING

Here is where I got my wood from, this may help you identiy yours

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsi...Woodtypes.html
Old January 20, 2010, 06:39 PM   #10
94Girl

take those old ugly stocks (not the pretty walnut ones) off and clean them with Easy Off oven cleaner and rough sand them, then take them to a Rino, or Line-X dealer (spray on turck bed coating) and have them sprayed. They really turn out neat!
Old January 20, 2010, 07:13 PM   #11
dondavis3

94Girl

Got a picture of that?
Old January 20, 2010, 11:24 PM   #12
94Girl

Well I looked through every file I could find, I did have a photo of one I had done about 7 years ago. A friend owned a Line-X dealership and I had him spray my carry all with a 2X8 added across the back of treated lumber to add some support and strength and it adhered so well to the wood I asked him to do a old Mini-14 stock, it adhered really good after i roughed the stock up so I pulled the stocks off of a Maddid I had tucked in the vault and had him spray and texture them, it really came out good. I just masked out the areas I didn't want sprayed. Worked WAY better than any "textured" finish spray I had ever tried out of a can.

Traded the Maddid for a Glock so I don't have it to make a photo of now.
Sorry....
Old January 21, 2010, 07:07 AM   #13
KMO

doughboy...Leave it alone. Someone once told me, "When you're finished, you're finished." I know that's not very astute, but what he was trying to tell me was to stop overworking a project. That walnut stock of yours looks perfect to me. Walnut is already a dark hardwood, so why darken it more? I think what you really need is another rifle project...time to go shopping man!
Old January 21, 2010, 07:11 AM   #14
apr1775

Quote:
take those old ugly stocks (not the pretty walnut ones) off and clean them with Easy Off oven cleaner and rough sand them, then take them to a Rino, or Line-X dealer (spray on turck bed coating) and have them sprayed. They really turn out neat!
I agree with using Easy Off to clean oil soaked wood. Bed liner :barf: I recently put a whole lot of effort into stripping off a bunch of black textured paint from a smle sporter stock set (I watched The Ghost and the Darkness too many times and want a rifle like Col Patterson's). Birch can be stained and oil finished. Minwax makes a stain and oil in one can. If you want a tough black finish, theres plastic stock sets out there for cheap prices.

Nice looking AK in the first post. Should an AK look that nice
Old January 21, 2010, 09:34 AM   #15
DOUGHBOY RACING

KMO that is not mine in the picture I found that pic on the web and want to duplicate it
Old January 21, 2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Pahoo

Quote:
Is my AK stock Birch?
dondavis3
First off, it's a laminate but my guess is that it is not Birch but rather one of the asian hardwooods of secondary hardwoods. Tulip or Myrtle comes to mind but at any rate, it would just be a cheap asian wood. Not sure what you have in mind but you can still work with this wood. Note that the resin between the laminate, will resist any staining even with a "Spirit" stain. If it was me, I'd leave it alone. I find that some folks just put too much work into a cheap gun and I certainly mean no disrespect. ...

Quote:
take them to a Rino, or Line-X dealer (spray on turck bed coating) and have them sprayed. They really turn out neat!
Again, for dondavis3 I have done this on SKS stocks but did not have the luxury of a dealer so worked out of a spray can. Certainly not as good but it is still holding on. They do look good and wear well. That is if you want to turn it into a blacker gun.

DOUGHBOY
Quote:
Walnut is already a dark hardwood, so why darken it more? I think what you really need is another rifle project...time to go shopping man!
Staining is used to match or blend the variations in the existing wood, if you don't want the contrast. It is also used to get the tone of the finish you want. In most cases it enhances the beauty of the wood. In some woods, it does not. Even a light stain on old wood can work wonders. That is why I suggested that if this is the finish you want to duplicate, you should experiment on different samples. I can tell you that the tone you are looking at, is a result of staining.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 21, 2010, 04:46 PM   #17
dondavis3

Pahoo

Thanks for the information.

Old January 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #18
KMO

Quote:
KMO that is not mine in the picture I found that pic on the web and want to duplicate it.
LOL! I'll blame last year's stroke on that...My bad. Well, let's see a photo of what you do have, and then we can all pile on with some real advice...