The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 19, 2009, 02:30 AM   #1
SomeThingYellow

Martini Henry Mk.1 Rifle. Question

Hello!
I don't know much about Rifles, and I have a BSA rifle which I Don't know anything about...I have had it for over 7 years. It has
The Words B.S.A & Co. And Also 1874 (year made?)
Two of my great Uncles were in WW1 and We think it could one of theirs.
OR My other Uncle Who is From South Africa was in the Army And It could be from S.A
Here are some Pics
Hope you know what it is because
I have looked all over the Internet and In some Gun Books,
but I can't find it anywhere

Last edited by SomeThingYellow; April 20, 2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: New Question
Old April 19, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Steven Mace

SomeThingYellow, here are some links that might help your research.

http://www.martinihenry.com/

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_small...et_rifles.html

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Britain/Martini.htm

http://www.martinihenry.co.uk/

BSA - Birmingham Small Arms Company

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old April 19, 2009, 07:42 AM   #3
SDC

The date of 1874 means that this is a Mk. I Martini-Henry rifle (sometimes also called an Martini-Enfield, after the inventor (Martini) and the place of manufacture (the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield)). This rifle was made in several variations, for issue to different troops (cavalry, artillery, infantry, etc.) and to know which specific version, we'd also need to know the barrel length (to get this, close the action, push a rod down the barrel, then measure the rod to the point where it stops). Unfortunately, this one has had a couple of pieces broken or gone missing; there was originally a sling loop at the front of the trigger-guard, and the tip of the "cocking indicator" (a large tear-drop-shaped pointer on the right side of the rifle) has been broken off. These rifles were originally chambered in 450-577 Martini-Henry (a cartridge that was a version of the older .577 necked down to .45 calibre), but were later converted to .303 before being replaced entirely by the Lee-Enfield series. HTH.
Just as a final point of interest, the "point-to-point" arrows stamped into the stock shows that this rifle was sold out of service (most likely to the soldier that originally used it in the forces, as this was an option given to them when they were passing out of the forces).
Old April 20, 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
SomeThingYellow

Thanks for the Info guys!
I have Done some studying and I Beleive that it is a
Martini Henry Mark 1.
I Think The Wooden base at the Front of the rifle has been removed, And the Tip has been Pulled back. Does any one know why?
Here Is a Normal one.

And this Is what I think happend to Mine

Cheers!
Old April 20, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
SDC

Yes, that's common for ex-military rifles that have been "sporterized" for civilian use, to make them lighter and less bulky; it's also a shame from a collector's point of view, since collectors prefer them in "as-issued" condition.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6
SomeThingYellow

Alright thanks!
Do you think I Could get it restored?
And What would somthing like that cost?

Thanks!
Old April 21, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
SDC

You could definitely get it restored, the trouble is trying to find someone that has the parts you need. I've really got no idea of what this would cost, though, since this also depends on finding someone who has the correct part and is willing to sell it.
Old May 10, 2009, 02:15 PM   #8
TEDDY

martini

IMA is selling them from the collection they got.from $200 up
Old May 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

That gun would cost several times more to restore than it could ever be worth. It is what it is, and it is as it was owned by your ancestor.

Jim