The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 7, 2001, 09:18 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

G-Code Holster Review

I have always been a big fan of leather for 1911’s. Recently, the paddle holster bug bit me. So out of curiosity, I got a paddle holster from Edge Works. The holster is from their G Code line and is made of kydex.

In the past, I’ve worn a kydex holster made by Talon Tactical and knew that kydex is incredibly quick on the draw. In addition, there’s no worry about sweat or leather wearing out. Although I have no complaints about kydex, leather just always felt right.

Today, the G Code holster arrived from UPS. Inside were the paddle holster, accessory paddle and mag holder. My initial reaction was a big smile. The holster and accessories are very well built. There are no sharp edges and the holster was perfectly molded to fit a Government 1911. It has a sweat guard which also acts as cover for your 1911’s safety. Although it’s a bit on the extreme side, the paddle is nicely polished. Even though it’s not needed, the attention to detail is quite evident.

The paddle that comes with the holster is a straight drop. Knowing that my lean frame needs at least an FBI cant for proper concealment, the accessory paddle is ideal for my body contour. Furthermore, the mag holder comes with the choice of belt loop or clip. I opted for the clip due to quickness of removal.

With a Phillips screwdriver, I changed the straight drop paddle to the FBI cant. The mag holder also has 2 Phillips screws for ease of changing from belt loop to clip. All in all, it took less than a minute to change the paddle and clip. The holster also has a tension screw for adjusting the gun retention.

I attached the mag holder and paddle holster on my hip. It was definitely quick because I didn’t need to remove my belt or play with snaps to put on the holster and mag holder. In addition, one handed holstering with my full size 1911 was a breeze. I double-checked to be sure my gun was unloaded and practiced some draw and dry firing. If you’ve never tried kydex, it must be done at least once to experience the speed of the draw - it’s unbelievably fast.

So with a loaded 1911 and spare mag, I went on my daily routine. The paddle is formed perfectly to my hip. I wore a light polo style shirt over the rig as it sat next to my skin. After experimenting with placement of the holster, I drove to my buddy’s house, walked around a local gun shop’s open house sale, went and tried some new fly rods, took my dog for a walk, to the range to pattern a new choke tube and finally back to my house. After 10+ hours of wearing the holster, I’m confident to say it’s extremely comfortable. The perfect size paddle distributes the weight perfectly.

While my heart still has a soft spot for fine leather, this holster will definitely see some IDPA and CCW usage.

For more information, you can find Edge Works at http://www.tacticalholsters.com/

Old September 11, 2001, 11:26 PM   #2
blades67

Son - That is one pretty 1911!

Scott - When will you have some left-handed SIG Sauer, Glock and Walther holsters available? (I don't want much, do I? )

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old September 15, 2001, 05:45 AM   #3
Justin Moore

Son,

The FBI cant paddle was an extra thing you had to purchase, right?

Also, did you get the rig direct from Scott or through one of the distributors?
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old September 15, 2001, 08:26 PM   #4
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Son thanks for the good words! That pistol sure makes that holster look good!

The G-CODE line is available in Left Hand for all Glock models, and all the 1911’s. The HK USP will be finished soon in LH as well as the Beretta 92 F.

Keep up the good work all in requesting the G-CODE holster line at your local retail shops. Your efforts are having an effect and is most appreciated.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com