The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2001, 11:05 PM   #1
John Marshall

Chronograph wounded but not dead!

Well, the guy who knew absolutely that he would never shoot his chronograph (that would be me ) did just that last Saturday. On the 7th shot of a 10 shot string I managed to clip the top of the back sensor housing of my Beta Chrony with a 250gr XTP out of my Blackhawk .45Colt. The left side screen rod fell out and the two halves of the housing nearly separated.

After taking a look at the unit, I re-leveled it and finished the last 3 shots with no problem. Velocities recorded were consistent with the first 7. Believe it or not, the unit actually recorded a velocity for the round that clipped it.

I think this chrony is going to have to be traded in on a new model, perhaps a Beta Master.
Old June 18, 2001, 11:29 PM   #2
bdhawk

don't feel bad

i hit mine with an arrow. i forgot that arrows drop before they rise to point of aim. knocked it off the bench and it fell about four feet to the ground. bent the metal next to the back sensor eye. still worked. mine is the cheap f1. i heard one should use wooden dowels just in case you hit one it will easily break and not hurt anything.
Old June 23, 2001, 02:35 AM   #3
George Helser

John Marshall,

You were lucky this time. I was not so lucky!

The Chrony manual specified shooting about 4-6" above the unit at a distance far enough to avoid muzzle blast. The problem was the handgun blocked the view of the Chrony so it was hard to judge how high I was shooting above it. After an hour of
shooting I was tired and put one through the Chrony. It was inoperable but some parts were salvageable.

Now, I tape a target to the back end of the Chrony with the bullseye about 6" above the box. This gives me a target to aim at, with a greater margin for error. So far, so good!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old June 23, 2001, 06:38 AM   #4
Rottweiler

George,

Great idea! you probably just saved chronograph #3's life!