The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2013, 02:34 PM   #51
LockedBreech

Beretta vs Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico View Post
I think the Beretta vs Taurus thread may rival the "whats better 9 mm or .40 thread". Maybe we need a hybrid thread:

Whats better: a Taurus 9mm or a Beretta .40? Or maybe a Taurus .40 vs a Beretta 9 mm.

Pico
Except that both the .40 and 9mm are endorsed by professionals.

Sorry! Couldn't help it
Old April 4, 2013, 06:42 AM   #52
Pico

Still working on the last post

Uhhh OK. I'm sure they are pardner.

Pico
Old April 4, 2013, 10:40 AM   #53
insman1132

Never had a problem with my Taurus. When I pull the trigger it goes "Bang!" Can't really ask for more than that.

Aside from that, however, I am a strong believer in getting what you really, really want, which I think by your writing is the Beretta. So save for it and go get one. I think a good gun is really a lifetime purchase so over the next 20+ years what has the Beretta really cost you extra?
Old April 4, 2013, 12:56 PM   #54
Dragline45

I think it's safe to say that if you find a Taurus PT92 that works, it can be on par with the Beretta M9/92. But shoddy quality control and customer service is Taurus's downfall. Personally if I am going to fork over good money for a gun I always save for a little longer and spend a little extra to get not only what I really wanted to begin with, but end up with a quality gun. After making numerous cheap buys throughout the years I swore I would never do it again since they always end up getting sold anyways. I would rather own a quality firearm and be proud to own it, then to save a couple hundred for the cheaper option. If I spent a little extra to begin with instead of opting for the cheaper options, which I ended up selling for a loss anyway, I would probably have 2-3 more guns right now. But instead I ended up selling them for a loss, and buying what I originally wanted anyway. Buy once buy right.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:04 PM   #55
9mm

There is no debate... Beretta has the contract with the military and been making guns 200 or so years?
Old April 4, 2013, 05:31 PM   #56
LockedBreech

Beretta vs Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico View Post
Uhhh OK. I'm sure they are pardner.

Pico
I might have been unclear. My point was that large swaths of police and military endorse either 9mm or .40, which gives both sides of that debate strength. Beretta versus Taurus is no real debate, though, since Beretta has widespread police and military contracts globally and Taurus is barely used outside Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
There is no debate... Beretta has the contract with the military and been making guns 200 or so years?

I agree, and about 500 years actually. Their first sale was for arquebus barrels in 1526
Old April 7, 2013, 08:28 AM   #57
PT-92

The guns are too similar to ponder hours on end about. I went with the Taurus a dozen years back when the price difference was far more significant (Massab Ayoob wrote an interesting comparison article in the 90's advocating the Taurus over the Beretta). Since then the prices have closed so that variable is not as key IMO. That said, the 92 is still Taurus' Flagship model and with ammo and mag prices get it and spend the difference on accessories.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:50 AM   #58
deepcreek

I owned a Taurus PT92 it was the wost gun I have ever owned. It shot 4ft groups at 10-15yds that's 4foot not 4in, other then the inaccuracy it functioned fine.

I recently bought a Beretta 96A1 and has feeding problems and has been sent in for warranty. Other then the feeding problem the gun is nice tight groups, smooth trigger, defiantly higher quality then the Taurus but... like I said it is unreliable and had to be sent in.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:50 PM   #59
Leejack

I always enjoy the entertainment provided in the 92 vs 92 threads.

I shot them side by side for a long time, so I'm thinkin my opinion is the one that counts. I never had any reportable problem with either gun, and they both fill the 10 ring. There are some suttle differences, but the big one is the safety. I've heard every excuse known to man about the Beretta safety, either you like it or not, it's personal preference.

These are both great guns. Pay the extra money for the funky safety lever on the Beretta and you will enjoy the enhanced status on the internet, you won't have to defend your gun.

Be safe all.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:06 PM   #60
PT-92

Quote:
deepcreek
I owned a Taurus PT92 it was the wost gun I have ever owned. It shot 4ft groups at 10-15yds that's 4foot not 4in, other then the inaccuracy it functioned fine.

I recently bought a Beretta 96A1 and has feeding problems and has been sent in for warranty. Other then the feeding problem the gun is nice tight groups, smooth trigger, defiantly higher quality then the Taurus but... like I said it is unreliable and had to be sent in.
deepcreek, Holy Cow--Did a 'black cat cross in front of you' or perhaps you 'walked underneath a ladder'.... Man oh man, two fine quality handguns both bad... Needless to say, that sucks but hopefully the vendors CS made them right...?
Old April 7, 2013, 05:38 PM   #61
Paul K

Beretta every time...

No one grows up dreaming about owning a Taurus.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #62

For all intents and purposes, the Taurus is little more or less than a Beretta 92 except for the different safety systems. The only real difference between the two will be slightly better fit and finish with the Beretta. Whether or not that's worth the extra money is entirely up to the buyer. If you buy or own the Beretta, I'd recommend always returning the hammer-drop safety back to the FIRE position after the hammer is decocked. It is a DA/SA pistol that's designed for that mode of carry. The Taurus safety system, IMO, is better for me. You can carry it cocked-and-locked, or you can decock to put the pistol into first shot DA mode, but the decocker returns automatically to the FIRE position once released. As mentioned before, to raise capitol for a new plant in the US back in the mid 80s, Beretta sold their plant in Brazil to Taurus and the only change in production that isn't cosmetic or a light rail was Taurus' modification of the safety system in the 90s. Original Taurus 92s had the same exact frame mounted safety that early Beretta's had and what they made for the Brazilians. Look at it this way, the present Taurus safety system is good enough that H&K saw fit to copy it for Variant 1 USPs. IMO, $500 is too much to pay for the Taurus. I bought one in 08 from Academy for $379 and they shouldn't be much more that that today.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:21 PM   #63
shep854

"You're not a SEAL until you eat Brazilian steel"--no, wait...
In fairness, the Beretta M9 slide failures were very rare, due to a specific (and quickly corrected) metallurgical problem, and grossly overhyped.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:03 PM   #64

Quote:
"You're not a SEAL until you eat Brazilian steel"--no, wait...
In fairness, the Beretta M9 slide failures were very rare, due to a specific (and quickly corrected) metallurgical problem, and grossly overhyped.
Never heard that one before and the M9's that experienced broken slides were made by Beretta right here in the USA. Taurus has never had an issue with the metallurgy of their slides and when the Army selected the Beretta as the M9, the SEALs selected the SIG/Sauer P-226 as their PDW, so I don't know why any of 'em would have ate Brazilian steel.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:21 PM   #65
shep854

I'm NOT a Beretta basher, but an otherwise excellent pistol had some evident (and corrected) issues, so here's a link to what I believe is one of the best writeups on the slide-failure problem:
http://www.thegunzone.com/m9-a.html
Old April 8, 2013, 08:55 AM   #66
deepcreek

Quote:
deepcreek, Holy Cow--Did a 'black cat cross in front of you' or perhaps you 'walked underneath a ladder'.... Man oh man, two fine quality handguns both bad... Needless to say, that sucks but hopefully the vendors CS made them right...?
I dono..? but I sleep next to a revolver now.

The Taurus was a while ago and I just traded it in one something else after a while. The Beretta was only a week or 2 ago and is in Sth Cali getting warranted, so hopefully they fix it or give me a new one..

I have learned my lessons with slaking on warranties, Now days all stuff I buy gets tested that week and if it has problems then they get dealt with.

I really like the the shape, model and feel of these guns. I really want this one to work.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:04 PM   #67
droptrd

Its much easier telling your friends you own a Beretta.