The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Drame22

Mosin Nagant Sight Adjustment, possible?

Hello all,

I have a mosin nagant, 91/30, and I was told that it would not fire straight unless the bayonet was fixed, which was apparently the original intent of the rifle. Needless to say, the bayonet is a bit cumbersome. I was wondering if the sights were adjustable, and if so how much would it cost? Or the cost thereabouts.

I'm a gun novice so I don't mean to ask stupid questions. Sorry y'all.

Best Regards and a merry christmas,
Drame22
Old December 25, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
voodoo54

www.surplusrifle.com will give you good answers to your sight adjustment questions.
Old December 25, 2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Drame22

I haven't actually fired the rifle yet. I was just wondering if I should bring it in. It was made in 1923 and I was told that the rifle wasn't sighted without the bayonet until after WWII.

Thanks,
Drame22
Old December 25, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
voodoo54

The M91/30 was designed to fire with the bayonet attached and will shoot high without it. The front sight post will adjust left and right but that will not help. You will have to adjust the rear sight for elevation to compensate for firing without the bayonet.

Last edited by voodoo54; December 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Hardcase

The easy way to adjust the front sight for shooting without the bayonet is to strip a bit of insulation from a 16ga wire and push it on over the post. Trim as needed.

The rifle is already long enough without another foot and a half of steel to contend with All of my 91/30s have little red posts now.
Old January 2, 2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Hellbilly5000

I just bought one but it was made in 1941 so far it seems like a great gun i have stripped it down and it is extremely easy to figure out how to field strip and clean, ammo I have noticed is hard to come buy other then online (whice does me no good at the moment) but I intend to have a blast with it