The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

rem 700 .308 vs throat way to long?

I have a new rem 700vs in 308. The throat is way way long. I have to have .160" jump from mag length bullets. A sierra 168mk bullet seated .015 off will barly stay in the case. I will never ever be ably to compensate for throat erosion. Once the throat wears at all, I will be sunk. I feel remington has cheated me out much of the expeted bbl life and accuracy by this gariff like throat. I have never had a rifle with this teriable of a jump before. What is up with this? Is this lawyer inspired? I can't belive this is in any way a responce to what most shooters want. Who do you at tfl recomend to do a good bbl replacement and accuracy job? I have heard Shillen bbls only have about 1/2 the life of other bbls. Is this true?
Rant off.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Clymer lists .090" as the standard .308 freebore length. You can measure yours by puting a .32 wadcutter into a fired case and forcing it closed with the bolt. You'll likely get the bullet stuck and have to knock it out with a brass rod, but you will be able to see where it jammed up and how deep in the case it was when it did, and get the measurement from that.

Some guns shoot fine with long freebores. The old Weatherby's were made that way on purpose. I would experiment before giving up on it. Close-to-lands seating isn't always the most accurate in a given rifle. If the rifle is intended for long range shooting, this configuration may be helpful as you will want to shoot long VLD bullet shapes and make as much room for powder behind them as you can.

At a the end of the day, if you can't make it shoot what you want to shoot in it with satisfactory accuracy, your first and most economical move is to return it to the factory with the accuracy and throat complaint. They should attend to it free of charge. If you want something they won't do, and if the the bore dimensions seem sound (slug it), get the gunsmith to pull the barrel, set it back a turn and re-chamber it. If you want it really tight for lighter bullets, have him set it back two turns. Clymer makes a Palma Match reamer intended to fire standard OAL cartridges loaded with 155 grain SMK's, and that should do well for you bullets up to that weight. There is also an M852 reamer for government match .308 (which uses 168 grain SMK's) if you want something a little longer than the Palma throat. The 'smith should be able to rent these reamers somewhere. I doubt Remington will offer to do a special chamber free. They might do it custom, though, and you could ask?

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 22, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Ammo Junky

Thanks UN. I don't really want to go any heavier and have any lower velocity, but I may have to concider it.
Thanks for your post.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.