The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 25, 2015, 09:46 AM   #1
ekels

How do you secure HD guns with kids

My little girl is getting bigger and closer to walking. Now I have to think about locking up my HD gun. I have a large safe for my long guns and a small safe too far away from my bedroom to use. The small safe is too big to be near the bed.

I want something my wife can get into so I think biometric is out..

What do you use? What brands do young like?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:01 AM   #2
jmhyer

I think a small box or safe that sits on the bedside table should be fine. It doesn't even need to be secured with bolts or a cable for your stated purpose. Something with a keypad that your wife knows how to get into would be fine. Also don't rule out biometric safes because they will accept multiple fingerprints for multiple family members.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Gunfixr

We got a finger keypad box years ago, when biometrics were just coming out, and quite expensive. My wife keeps hers in it.
Mine is wherever I put it. Usually in a close location to where I'm at, such as a desk next to my chair. When I go to bed, it goes to the nightstand. When I leave the house, it is my edc, so it leaves with me.
Don't discount teaching the kids as well. When very young they are more curios than anything. So the them down and explain that they are not to touch guns, to get an adult. Let them examine all they wish your now unloaded gun (well verified unloaded), and let them that after that, "no touchy".
They will find a heavy, unwieldy (for them) object that doesn't do anything, and be bored with it quickly.
You should still keep them closely watched, or secured, but the child's curiosity has been sated, and their desire to get their hands on it diminished. You may have to do this with multiple firearms.
Old January 25, 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Shadi Khalil

My biometric safe allows for multiple fingerprints to be scanned in.
Old January 25, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5
ekels

My girl is only a few months old. So teaching gun safety is still out of the question for now. But I will be on it as soon as she is old enough to understand. I was raised around guns but I don't believe one was ever unlocked so it wasn't much of an issue.

Any brands you prefer for the biometric?
Old January 25, 2015, 03:20 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

There are two basic approaches, and both have value. Childproofing your guns (locking/securing them, or the ammo) and gunproofing your children (teaching them what guns really are and what they really do).

Both are needed. How much, of either is your call, for your situation.

Some folks teach their kids well, but keep things locked up anyway, because of other people's kids who might be there and don't know safety.

If you don't teach your kids, they might be the ones at risk in someone else's house, as well..

I grew up in a house where my Grandfather's shotgun lived loaded behind a kitchen door, and had done so for more than 40 years before I got there. Somehow, Mom survived that, and so did myself and my younger brother.

One memory I still have from my childhood is trying to lift my Dad's .357 S&W (while he watched me at about age 5 or 6 )

When my daughter could pull back the slide on my .45 I knew it was time that chamber empty mag loaded wasn't completely safe anymore...(and yes, I tested the kids on this)

My kids learned what guns really were, and did. Many children today don't get to learn that.

When kids know, they aren't as curious. When they aren't curious, they aren't tempted to find out when you aren't around. And if they know what they should know, even if they did get to one without you around, they are less likely to have an accident. (applies to lots more than guns)

Unloaded guns are at best, awkward clubs. Pretty child safe without trigger locks or cables or a safe, etc., if you ask me..

Does your "ready" gun need to be fully loaded? Your situation, your call. For me, I'm fine with something that can be loaded "quickly", and easily.

What has worked in my family for generations may not be applicable in your situation. You just have to use your best judgment.

Be aware that if a child has seen you do something a couple times (maybe only once) they "know" how to do it. Maybe they can't do it (yet) and maybe they can't tell you they know how to do it, but if they want to do it, they will try.

My son, a 4, "drove" his grandfather's car. Got in, turned the key to "ON",put the gear lever in "D", and steered it as it rolled away. He might even have made the turn around the house if he had turned the key to "start" and had the engine running (so the power steering worked).

Daughter gave a friend detailed, step by step accurate instructions how to operate a complex multi component stereo system, while sitting on the floor, with her back to it, playing with a dolly, at an age before she could read. Stereo was on a shelf 6ft off the floor (to keep it out of children's reach), she had never touched it, couldn't reach it, but had seen me do it, often.

They DO learn. Often sooner than you think. It is important that they learn what they need to know.
Old January 25, 2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Gunfixr

Children are born with a basically empty brain. It is a sponge, and will soak in everything around within its grasp, whether understood yet or not.
So, as I mentioned, we kind of do both. All of the guns but my edc are locked up, and our children (now 22 and 16) were taught. But, like 44amp said, other children cannot be ignored, which is why they are locked up anyway. I can keep an eye on the one that is out, and secure it if I need to, which has been done a few times when necessary.
Like 44amp said, you have to decide. We did what we did, and it worked for us. In addition, we got them into a junior shooting program when young, so they learned proper handling of firearms, as well as what can be done by misusing them. We also tightly controlled who came in from outside the family.
Like the rest of parenting, it takes effort, but the effort pays off well if done.
Old January 26, 2015, 01:45 PM   #8
FAS1

If you are not comfortable with electronics or have concerns about biometric readers working with your or your wife's prints, then don't rule out the ones available with mechanical pushbutton locks. They remain popular due to their durability, reliability, and still being as quick as the electronic or biometric ones to access. You will need to remember your combination, though.
Old January 26, 2015, 05:12 PM   #9
twobit

I grew up in the 1960's under the "gunproof your child".
Old January 26, 2015, 05:18 PM   #10
SPEMack618

Dad took the gunproof you're child approach.

Eddie the Eagle was my bed time sleeping companion for years. Seriously, the Little Sister ganked him one day and I was devastated.

That being said, being slightly more modern in my approach, or maybe my hippy liberal LadyFriend is rubbing off on me, but we recently purchased a pistol safe for each bedside table to use when the assorted nieces and nephews come for a long weekend.

Everything else stays in the safe, with the exception of my home defense AR, which gets broken down and stowed in a soft case.
Old January 27, 2015, 11:21 AM   #11
g.willikers

Leave the guns out where they can be useful and lock up the kids?
Oh, so tempting.
Old January 27, 2015, 03:37 PM   #12
vipersbyms

I am in a similar situation. I'm in the process of getting my first firearm which will be a pistol. Young daughter and a very cautious wife, so a safe is a must. Presently don't have a place for a large vault to bolt down so I've been searching for a pistol safe. I've researched a lot and the ones that have caught my eye are:

Browning PV500
Fort Knox Original Pistol Box
V-Line Brute

My scenario is slightly different since the handgun will be locked in it pretty much at all times. These all have 10 gauge or better steel. My only concern with the Fort Knox and V-Line is the small amount of possible combinations with the Simplex locks. However, I do like the idea of a mechanical lock. If there was a 10 gauge pistol safe with a different mechanical lock it would make the decision a lot easier.

For the OP, since you have a large safe to store the handgun in when needed, your choices are much broader. Your daughter isn't easily breaking into a safe due to thin metal. The Biometric safes today can record multiple fingerprints, so you can have both you and your wife can open the safe. They seem to have the quickest access but also the least reliability (not that they are unreliable, but from my research there are times when people had a little difficulty using them).

American Security, Fort Knox, and V-Line seem to be some of the more reputable brands out there for pistol safes. They all use Simplex locks and people say they have quick access after familiarizing themselves with the safe. These safes well built and will last a long time. Again, the only thing keeping me away for now is the low amount of possible combinations. The Browning is a complete wildcard as there are basically no reviews on it and only two short videos from Browning. This safe uses an electric four-button lock and has a key backup. It's just a question of how reliable the electric lock is.

I'm just curious if you guys would bolt down a pistol safe or not if it was your only safe. The thought being that in a situation where an intruder finds the safe when you aren't home and they just take it and run off with it rather than them prying it open and getting the gun as you get home.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:13 PM   #13
FAS1

Quote:
My scenario is slightly different since the handgun will be locked in it pretty much at all times. These all have 10 gauge or better steel. My only concern with the Fort Knox and V-Line is the small amount of possible combinations with the Simplex locks. However, I do like the idea of a mechanical lock. If there was a 10 gauge pistol safe with a different mechanical lock it would make the decision a lot easier.
How about a 7 gauge safe with the Simplex style lock and a Keyed deadbolt/backup?

FAS1 Safe w/In&Out Lock Option - Video

Old January 27, 2015, 04:19 PM   #14
TailGator

I have a push button GunVault brand that has worked fine for years. You can program your own combination, and change it whenever you feel you should. I used it in the drawer of a bedside table when my kids were at home, and I still use it that way when we have house guests. These days, I keep it in my car with a cable around the seat base when my wife and I have the house to myself, and I sometimes bring it in to hotel rooms and loop the cable around the bed frame. It has been completely reliable and I appreciate the versatility.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:45 PM   #15
Dave P

As i was helping to get some loose cows back home today, I met the neighbor lady/owner. She was packing a revolver on her hip - she claimed that kept the kids away from it, and safe. I said "Good for you!"
Old January 27, 2015, 07:42 PM   #16
68Caliber

I have a keypad safe secured to a bedside table. The kids have been instructed in a clear way that the "black box" is strictly off limits. Visiting kids are not allowed in our bedroom.

I also keep the magazine loaded but not locked in place and the safety on. Some people believe a weapon should be instantly accessible and ready to go. I'm of the belief that secured in a safe with 3 actions required to make the weapon dangerous still protects me from 99% of conceivable scenarios. The other 1% is my "sacrifice" to safety.
Old January 27, 2015, 08:44 PM   #17
vipersbyms

"How about a 7 gauge safe with the Simplex style lock and a Keyed deadbolt/backup?"

So both the key and the Simplex combination must be inserted for it to be opened? And it seems that you either get the carpeting inside or the holster, or you can buy the other for $15 extra. Is there any sort of warranty?
Old January 27, 2015, 10:49 PM   #18
FAS1

How do you secure HD guns with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersbyms View Post
"How about a 7 gauge safe with the Simplex style lock and a Keyed deadbolt/backup?"

So both the key and the Simplex combination must be inserted for it to be opened? And it seems that you either get the carpeting inside or the holster, or you can buy the other for $15 extra. Is there any sort of warranty?

No the key does not need to be used. To deadbolt the pushbutton lock you put the key in the "out" position and remove the key. Now even if you know the combination you can't gain access.

In the "neutral" position you remove the key and the pushbutton lock functions as normal. No key needed to operate the pushbutton lock in this position.

To keep the pricing down for people not interested the lock and carpet they are optional. The lock is $29.95 and carpeted interior is $12.95.

1 year warranty which is what the individual components have that are purchased from the manufactures, such as locks and the gas spring.

Last edited by FAS1; January 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 01:16 AM   #19
vipersbyms

Understood. Just wondering, what makes the safe not CA DOJ approved? I've read the law and comparatively the FAS1 safes seem similar to other CA DOJ approved ones. It does seem like a nice safe and I priced one out for the configuration I would want. I will have to do some serious persuading to the other half since it's over budget.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:45 AM   #20
FAS1

Quote:
Just wondering, what makes the safe not CA DOJ approved? I've read the law and comparatively the FAS1 safes seem similar to other CA DOJ approved ones. It does seem like a nice safe and I priced one out for the configuration I would want.
Cost of testing. I am a very small business and can't justify it just for CA. I might have to rethink this as CA is now the #1 State that I ship to. The CA DOJ standards aren't much when virtually anything tested has passed. Just look at the list of what is approved.

Quote:
I will have to do some serious persuading to the other half since it's over budget.
Watch this review. There is a discount here:2AGuysandGear FAS1 Safe Review
Old January 28, 2015, 01:50 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Just curious, does CA treat safe testing the way they do handguns? I believe for handguns, you not only have to supply the guns, but also pay for the testing, and I've heard that different finishes (and maybe even different barrel lengths) are considered "different" models and must be separately tested to be approved?
Old January 28, 2015, 03:35 PM   #22
Banger357

I use a gunvault biometric safe under my car seat for instances when I'm carrying and then need to to go to a bank or something and need to leave the gun in the car. It programs something like 200 fingerprints, so I did every one of my fingers for convenience. I used to have the same thing mounted on my bed frame too- I don't have kids though so now it is locked in my safe when I'm gone and out on my nightstand when I'm home.

Have you seen the new Hornady handgun safe though? I haven't seen one in person yet, but the bracelet thing seems like a great idea , you can put it on when you go to bed. I'd imagine they wouldn't let a shoddy product out under their name, but then again they aren't exactly a security company so I have no idea how reliably it functions.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:14 PM   #23
FAS1

Quote:
Just curious, does CA treat safe testing the way they do handguns? I believe for handguns, you not only have to supply the guns, but also pay for the testing, and I've heard that different finishes (and maybe even different barrel lengths) are considered "different" models and must be separately tested to be approved?
If the above is how they treat handguns then I would say it is similar from what little I know. I haven't researched it enough. The manufacturer supplies several to test of each model and then one to sit in the approved items warehouse for reference. Of course, all at the manufacturers expense.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:44 PM   #24
RaySendero

Quote:
twobit wrote:
I grew up in the 1960's under the "gunproof your child".
Yep, I did, too.

When it was my turn, I used the NRA "Eddie Eagle" rules for my children and that worked well!

As they grew-up I taught'em how to shoot and clean and reload rifles pistols and shotguns.

However, I added:
1) Never talk about what firearms we have or how they are stored with your friends (ie Don't go there)
and
2) Never show or allow any your friends at the house to handle firearms.

They are all grown now - The youngest is 25.
All maintain they never ever broke those last 2 rules.
Old January 29, 2015, 10:08 AM   #25
kraigwy

You can gun proof you child, but how can you be sure your child's friends are gun proof.

I keep my guns in a locked gun safe, except for my HD/SD gun. Its in my pocket. Not much chance of any kid getting a hold of it without my knowledge.

A locked up HD gun isn't a defense gun, If your gun is on your person, its available yet un-assessable to others.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071