The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2015, 04:41 PM   #1
mainegunner

The stupidest gun thing you have ever heard

Well, to start, I am new to this forum and in 8th grade. This thread is for posting the stupidest thing you have ever heard concerning guns or ammo. I was done with my school work, so I was reading a book about hunting. The girl sitting beside me is sort of anti gun, but she doesn't say much about that. Me and my friend were talking about hunting elephant in Africa and I pointed at a .460 Wby Mag. The girl says "Why would you use something that big on elephant? He would feel it, and that's inhumane!" She then flips the page back and points at a .30-06 and says "See, this is so tiny, and he wouldn't feel this!"
Also at school, we were watching a video on Abe Lincoln, and it incorrectly stated he was shot with a revolver. A different girl who I can not stand says " How does he get shot in the head with a revolver and live for a day?" With emphasis on revolver. She acts like revolvers are capable of blowing you to pieces regardless of chambering.
But what should I expect from my school? Some teachers there are basically anti gun. I was told to put my book on rifles down in health when we were told read or play games on your IPad.
Old January 20, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Erno86

After I castigated a shooter for me being muzzle-swept by his rifle on the range...The offending perp said: "Don't worry, it's not loaded."

--- George Orwell
Old January 20, 2015, 07:02 PM   #3
lamarw

A recent one is "Snipers are cowards". There is nothing further from the truth.

All due respect to Chris Kyle, Clint Eastwood and the cast of "American Sniper" the movie, but I was not impressed with the production. It is not a sniper. It is a sniper team. The movie did not reflect this fact. Although, it has not always been this way I bet it was in Iraq and modern times.

Last edited by lamarw; January 20, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:31 PM   #4
musher

Honey, I swear this is the last one.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:47 PM   #5
RickB

When I asked for a box of .38 Super, one of the guys behind the counter plops down a box of .38 Special.
When questioned about the compatibility, he said, "It works in all .38s, that's why it's special".
Old January 20, 2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Pahoo

Guns are made to kill !!!

One day at the range with one of my TC-Hawken, I caught the eye of a couple of kids who were there with their parents. I offered to let them shoot and they were more than eager. I asked the adult male if it was okay and he said; Sure !!! .....

After the kids had shot, I asked the man if he wanted to shoot and he declined. I asked the adult female if she wanted to shoot?

Her informed Reply;
No thank you, Guns are made to kill and want no part of them.
I then asked her if she had come up with that on her own or read it somewhere? She just shrugged and I remained, friendly ......

I like the way you think and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 20, 2015, 08:01 PM   #7
deerslayer303

One day at my local gun store some guys walked in and asked for some "glack bullets". The look on the guys face was beyond priceless.
Old January 20, 2015, 08:08 PM   #8
DaleA

You might want to look at this thread it has already got a lot of the stuff you need:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547752

Also use the 'Search' function up at the top of the page and look for old threads with this stuff, I can guarantee you'll find a lot of stuff about this.
Old January 21, 2015, 02:22 AM   #9
Metal god

I was at the range and was told by the SRO that the lower the velocity the more accurate the bullet . He gave not caveat just the lower the velocity the more accurate the round . That as a blanket statement is wrong in so many was I will not count them here .

Quote:
All due respect to Chris Kyle, Clint Eastwood and the cast of "American Sniper" the movie, but I was not impressed with the production. It is not a sniper. It is a sniper team. The movie did not reflect this fact. Although, it has not always been this way I bet it was in Iraq and modern times.
Not to hi-jack the thread but the move was based on Chris Kyle's autobiography . I just happen to see the move with a friend that finished reading the book a day before . I asked him if the movie was true to the book . He said yes very much so . That tells me the movie was done very well . After all it was a story of Chris Kyle's life told by Chris Kyle's . If they followed the book , then It's pretty hard to say they got that wrong .

The book was never about THE American sniper . It was about Cris Kyle an American sniper

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 21, 2015, 09:10 AM   #10
g.willikers

And welcome to the forum.
You might be the youngest member, so far.
But only in years.
A guy was following a bunch of us downrange to change targets, but he was still carrying his shotgun.
When one of us noticed and got all excited, the guy sez, "Don't worry, it's got a tight choke."
Old January 21, 2015, 09:30 AM   #11
BarryLee

A friend called me and asked if I thought a GLOCK Forty in 9mm was a good choice for a first gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2015, 09:35 AM   #12
wogpotter

Quote:
"The Ruger 10-22 is called that because you can deathmurder (sp) 22 police officers with every high capacity magazine"!
end quote.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 21, 2015, 10:05 AM   #13
RECTIFIER

The Ak-47 is so named because it means 'automatic killer & shoots 47 bullets with one pull of the trigger'.

Old January 21, 2015, 10:44 AM   #14
nightowl64

Clint Eastwood is an actor/director..his work is to create illusion.
Old January 21, 2015, 10:54 AM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

We have similar threads like over time as posted and we are getting rather silly cliches.

Let's not start a new one.

Closed.
Old January 21, 2015, 10:54 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, mainegunner!

We already have a thread called something like "Stupidest things you've heard in gun stores," and this one's headed downhill pretty fast. Accordingly, I'm going to go ahead and close this.

Cordially,
Spats

ETA: Looks like Glenn beat me to it.