The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Powderman

On AR15 Barrels...I need one!

I am about to build an AR15. It will not be for duty, contingency or anything serious at all. Not for competition, either. This will be a pure fun gun, something to punch holes in paper with.
As for components, I'm not too picky. I'll use Colt parts for the small stuff--a RRA 2 stage trigger will do that job nicely as well. I do want the M16 bolt carrier--that's what the rifle is designed to work with, anyway.
The one thing I am picky about, though, is the barrel.
Now, I have settled on one barrel configuration: I want a 24 inch bull barrel, heavy contour throughout, unfluted. I want a target crown on it, and I want a .223 Wylde chamber.
This is where the fun comes in...I have searched high and low and durned few barrel makers offer that configuration. Looked at DPMS--sold out and backordered. I contacted a few other suppliers--it seems now that most folks think that AR barrels are 16 inches long, period.
I did find one manufacturer--looked at their barrels, and liked what I saw. However, they cataloged the barrel as having a .223 Remington chamber only. So I called them and asked them about chambering one barrel in .223 Wylde. They told me that "it ruins the accuracy" and flat out refused to do it.
I called Kreiger--they have a wait time of 6 months, minimum. Drat.....
Sooooo...a little more searching, and I check out Stag Arms. Stop the presses, there it is!
24 inch, heavy barrel, .926 journal diameter, supplied with gas block and tube. Well, it IS only chambered in 5.56x45 NATO---but it's looking good. Here, then, is the question:
Does anyone have experience with Stag Arms barrels--or do you have a rifle with that 24 inch varmint contour? All advice is welcome!
Old February 1, 2014, 12:40 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I did find one manufacturer--looked at their barrels, and liked what I saw. However, they cataloged the barrel as having a .223 Remington chamber only. So I called them and asked them about chambering one barrel in .223 Wylde. They told me that "it ruins the accuracy" and flat out refused to do it.
If you're just going to be chasing ghosts on paper, why worry about a Wylde chamber? .223 Rem should be more than adequate, and you don't have to deal with the longer throat.
Old February 1, 2014, 02:55 AM   #3
Powderman

Because I have a HUGE quantity of military brass. I want to use it without any worries.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:26 AM   #4
CowTowner

You could use a 5.56 NATO chamber as opposed to the Wylde.
That will accommodate both .223 Rem as well as milsurp ammo and they are easier to find.
http://model1sales.com/index.cfm?fus...ategory_id=347
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 1, 2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Jimro

If you handload for long range accuracy, the 5.56 military style chamber isn't going to hurt you any.

Also if you handload, the functional difference in throat length between 223 Rem and 5.56 isn't an issue either.

Odds are the barrel will shoot very nicely with quality ammo.

What is the twist rate you are looking at, and what is the distance you want to shoot at? There is a big difference between a 1:12 varmint twist and a 1:8 twist competitors use in terms of what bullets you'll be able to get to shoot tight.

Jimro
Old February 1, 2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Powderman

Yup. I'm looking at this barrel:

http://www.stagarms.com/24-5-56-bull-barrel-assembly/

because it has the features I want--5.56 chambered, 1:8 twist, full heavy profile throughout, with gas block and a rifle-length gas system.
Old February 1, 2014, 02:02 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Because I have a HUGE quantity of military brass. I want to use it without any worries.
Case dimensions are the same. It's the throat that's different.
That brass won't care whether it's in a 5.56 chamber, .223 Rem chamber, or a .223 Wylde chamber.
Old February 2, 2014, 08:14 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Kreiger barrels?....

I'm not a pro gunsmith or "bullethead" but Id heard Krieger(check correct spelling) makes the best barrels for custom work/after market.
A long wait might be your best bet if you want a high quality barrel.
Old February 2, 2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Toolman

I built a varmint AR using a Wilson SS air-gaged barrel. The barrel is 1.050" dia. x 24" long and has a target crown. It was front heavy, so I added 3-4 lbs of lead shot to the buttstock. This rifle weighs about 13 lbs. I like the RR match triggers.

The next one I put together will have a shorter barrel.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:12 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Brownells.com ....

Brownells put out a separate AR parts catalog.
They may have the after market parts you might need for the AR.
See www.Brownells.com .