The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 21, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
marine6680

Troy Dioptic small aperture Mod

Someone expressed interest in this in another thread, so here is a thread about it for others to see.

I hated the small dioptic aperture, so I modified it.

Careful measuring showed that the center of the large aperture was the same as the center of the small aperture. I have the newer version that isn't completely cut off into the aperture, but the top is thin.

Having the center of the apertures line up was important. As the instructions are to hold the front post at the top thin section for longer shots. Being center means I can zero with the small and still be on with the large.

I built up the area carefully with a couple layers of JB Weld. Let each layer dry mostly before the next is applied. Then I carefully trimmed the excess so it will lay flat if folded to the large aperture, and to make it look better. I used a sharpie to make it black as well.

I like it much better now. The small aperture actually works like an aperture now. It fills more of my vision above the aperture, so it doesn't look like a mostly open space. This helps with lining up the front post into the center of the aperture.

Old March 22, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Darker Loaf

I own those sights, and I like 'em, but I can appreciate the care and trouble you took to do that mod. Good work and thanks for sharing!
Old March 22, 2014, 09:20 AM   #3
marine6680

It took some doing... the first attempt didn't stick well. Allowed the JB weld to thicken a little to help hold shape, but it didn't want to adhere, and it came off when doing the final shaping after it was dry.

Learned a very thin layer applied first as a base, then allowed to mostly dry, then the next few layers could be allowed to thicken a little before applying so it would stay in place and not drip while applying.