The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
43FLcracker

Made In USA

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I had an Idea to compile a list of quality manufacturers of firearms and firearm accesories made right here in the good ole' USA.

In the ****ty economic times were in right now, for about the last year ive made a very conscious effort to only buy products made in America. Now, usually when you tell someone you do this they say, "Oh, thats way more expensive" or "stuff made in America is hard to find". Ive found that both of those statements are mostly false in every aspect.

YES, American products are more expensive. But not by much, and the reason is because a fellow American, maybe your Aunt, Uncle, Brother, Sister, Father or Son got paid a hard days wage to make a quality product for you, NOT some 14 year old chinese girl who got paid 5 cents.

And the truth is, things made in the USA are not hard to find, you just have to look. I believe this is one of the biggest problems in convincing people to buy American, people are willing to accept convenience over quality.

The way I look at it is like this: If your planning on going out and buying a certain item, that means you have already planned to spend that money. Why dont I take the time to look for the item that is better quality, will last longer, and employs a fellow American?

Thousands of people have lost their jobs already because of corporations outsourcing to china. Your job could be next. Isnt it worth a few extra dollars to keep a friend or family member employed, and keep America the way we all envision it to be: A proud manufacturing country, not a greedy, materialistic consumer country. If you at least try to buy american, we can help stem the tide of Consumerism that is strangling this countrys industries and blue collar workers like yourselves.

Anyways, rant over, back to my initial meaning. I am looking to compile a good list of independent, American manufacturers that produce quality goods, so that It could be turned into a reference database so people who are interested in buying a certain item can find a USA product to suit the wants and needs. Help me help support the working man and small, independent, American manufacturers.

Do yall have any comanies or suggestions? And also, I didnt know if this was the right place for this thread, so let me know if I should move it .
Old August 28, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Don H

Define "USA product" and "Made In USA".
Old August 28, 2010, 02:23 PM   #3
BWT

+1 for above and 2nd question to you: Say Glock pistols, they probably wouldn't show up on your list, but Glock has more Americans on the payroll than Austrians, so doesn't that count for something?
Old August 28, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4
7jinxed7

Smith & Wesson is american. I bought one recently.
Oh my Toyota truck made in USA my Honda made in USA my Brothers MADE IN AMERICA GM yeah its made in Canada. Point being where do you draw the line?
If we refused to buy from American companies that went over seas then they would go out all together which would make the American owners go broke too.

Last edited by 7jinxed7; August 28, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Jimmy10mm

i'm a firm believer in buying made in USA products whenever possible. The job you save may be your own. Here is a website that purports to list made in USA products. One of a few sites if you google the thread title.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Oh my Toyota truck made in USA my Honda made in USA my Brothers MADE IN AMERICA GM yeah its made in Canada. Point being where do you draw the line?
That's a great point. My Toyota Tundra was made in Indiana. My buddy bought a GM made in Canada "because he wanted the profits to go to America". I still don't understand his logic.

And, since this thread isn't really firearms or gear related, it's likely closed pretty quickly.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; August 28, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
43FLcracker

well, thats the great debate, isnt it. What is "Made in the USA". Personally, I believe you support many more Americans by buying products manufactured here in the US versus products manufactured in another country by an American based company.

Supporting an American company by buying products made overseas supports shareholders and retail, and does nothing to bring or keep industry in America.

Automotive manufacturers are a totally different argument altogether. Although, personally, id never buy a Toyota or Honda, even though it was made here. I buy old used trucks that were made in the USA.

Im not looking for right vs wrong, im looking to support the domestic firearms and firearms manufacturing industry by compiling a list of companies that support working Americans that people could look to when shopping for a specific item or type of item.

Ill give an example-http://www.deweyrods.com/dealer.htm

Dewey cleaning rods are great quality cleaning products(I have a few one piece rods of theirs) that are American owned and operated. Now if someone was looking for cleaning rods, they could find this website on the list and find a quality product made in America.

heres another example-http://www.graceusaguntools.com/index.htm

Those are quality smithing tools, made in the USA. I have a set of screwdrivers from them, and they will probably still be in my tool box when I die.

Im not looking for the meaning of life or to dissolve NAFTA( although that would be nice). Im just looking for a few companies to put on a list and maybe help some fellow americans out.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:59 PM   #8
10-96

I just recently got my latest Brownells catalog- and they've done a bunch of your homework for you- all of their U.S. made products are listed in red. There is a note in there that says they may not be 100% accurate, but they do try and they are open to corrections.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 28, 2010, 05:01 PM   #9
43FLcracker

I aint got a brownells catalog, but sounds like it would help haha
Old August 29, 2010, 04:32 AM   #10
10-96

Give em the old google lookum up routine and they'll gladly send ya one! I get mine for free- but then I'm always ordering something from them. Who knows? Maybe they'll send you a free one too?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 29, 2010, 11:27 AM   #11
chris in va

I'm pretty sure this topic has already been covered, several times.
Old August 29, 2010, 04:46 PM   #12
LarryFlew

Why dont I take the time to look for the item that is better quality, will last longer, and employs a fellow American?

because the first 2 outweigh the last one in a lot of cases.

Yes I probably paid a little more for vehicle made in the US but paid a lot less for a better quality handgun made elsewhere.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:11 PM   #13
X_shooter

"My buddy bought a GM made in Canada "because he wanted the profits to go to America". I still don't understand his logic."

Becuase he subscribes to the head in the sand menatality that many Americans fall prey to becuase they don't enlighten themselves and only listen to the rhetoric of certain organizations. He doesn't know that corporations operate in a global market, Canada and Mexico are foreign countries too, and profits from "those other foreign companies" go to shareholders and not fill barrels marked "money from USA" on every street corner in the country. He could be a shareholder if he wanted to. In fact his favorite "American" companies probably went to bed with a foreign company just to stay viable. I would bet many of those companies fund retirement plans of hard working Americans in the profits of said companies.

Whew! is this thread closed yet
Old August 30, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
madmag

Did a list of American made a while back (March 2009)

You can look at my thread I worked on a while back. Go to page 7.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343564
Old August 30, 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
43FLcracker

madmag, thats a good link. Thanks for your work on that list