The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Red dot sights

I bought a new Ruger MKIII target pistol the other day and have finally got a chance to get out and shoot a few rounds through it. I love the pistol and I'm decently accurate out to about 25 yards with it. I hope to improve with some much needed practice. The stock sights are ok, but they leave a little to be desired IMO. I think at least half of the problem is my short arms causing me to hold the pistol closer to my eye than the average shooter, in turn causing the front sight to not adequately fill the gap between the rear sight. I've looked at some fiber optic sights but I don't think I'd like them much better than what I've got. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a red dot sight for it. I've never owned a red dot sight before and know next to nothing about them. I don't need the most expensive top of the line competition sight out there, I just plan on some casual target shooting and small game hunting, shooting 50 yards at the most. Can I get some schooling on red dot sights for handguns and which one would be the best for my MK III without breaking the bank? Dunno if you can get a good one for under $50 but I don't want to spend much more than that if I don't have to.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Ozzieman

How are you going to mount it?
You can buy very cheap sets of NcSTAR and try them. If you don’t like them throw them away.
At 13$ you’re not out much.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-r...3-8-dp3-8.html

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
steveNChunter

I have a weaver base that came with the pistol. Its pre-drilled and tapped. And the $50 mark is flexible. I just dont want a ton of money tied up in a "fun gun" but I do want something decent. Is that possible?

How about Truglo?

Last edited by steveNChunter; February 18, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #4
PatientWolf

I just picked up an open TruBright open red dot by TruGlo for my 10/22 at Dicks. They have them ranging from about $30 up.

The one I got is a 2.5-5 MOA
Old February 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
TexasJim

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Mark III Hunter and it is great for the price.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Carne Frio

I'm thinking of getting that Bushnell TRS-25. Here is a good price:
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph.../dp/B00200E0HM
Old February 18, 2013, 07:09 PM   #7
steveNChunter

The Bushnell looks like a nice sight but I'm looking more at open red dots.

PatientWolf- The Tru-brite is the Tru-glo that I was looking at. It looks like exactly what I want. I found them for 69.99 on Natchez. How do you like yours?
Old February 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
PatientWolf

I picked it up Saturday and I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have mounted it. I like the fact that it is so adjustable (with the choice of sighting options and the variable brightness red and green colors). After sighting down it, I'm probably going to start with the single dot 2.5 MOA and see how it works for me.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:33 PM   #9
steveNChunter

Let me know how you like it after you shoot with it. It will probably be a few days before I buy anything.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:15 PM   #10
chris in va

Having owned a few red dots and mounted one on my 22/45, I strongly recommend you get one with a very small dot size. Most cheap dots are around 4-5 moa and completely cover the bullseye or hide half a can at 50 yards.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:47 PM   #11
Captains1911

Another vote for the TRS-25, it works well for me.

Old February 19, 2013, 04:49 AM   #12
steveNChunter

Ok I'll ask a stupid question... What do "holographic" and "reflex" mean? And what are the benefits of either one over a regular red dot?
Old February 19, 2013, 08:31 AM   #13
alex0535

They are both types of dot sights that work a little differently from each other. The first link explains how a reflex sight works and the 2nd explains how a holographic sight work. A red dot will usually be a reflex sight, but a holographic sight can also be a red dot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_weapon_sight

I tried to come up with a basic summary of both optics, but realized I would be largely just paraphrasing wikipedia. Too early in the morning for reading into and explaining how light, lasers, LED, holography, and parallax relate to these sights.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
steveNChunter

Well so far I like the looks of the Tru-glo Tru-brite and the Sightmark mini shot.

Havent yet decided on a favorite between those two...
Old February 19, 2013, 07:24 PM   #15
PatientWolf

Unfortunately it looks like it might be a while before I get to the range but I do like the way it looks like it will sight, meaning it is easy to pick up looking through the sight window.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:27 PM   #16
dfsixstring

Red dot sights

Now this is fun:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361319809.674448.jpg

Nikon Monarch on a 1986 Ruger Standard. My son and I see who can punch more bulls eyes at 50 yards.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:16 PM   #17
steveNChunter

Thanks PatientWolf, I think I have pretty much talked myself into getting the Truglo. Havent really found a bad review on it anywhere I've looked.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:15 AM   #18
PatientWolf

That was one of the things that sold me on it. It looks like you found a better price than I did, but I bought it from a brick an mortar vs the net for other reasons. I don't get asked when a Dick's charge shows up on the cc bill.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #19
steveNChunter

Well after I pay shipping its $79 so I'm probably not getting the deal of the century. My hometown doesn't have any big sporting goods stores so I do alot of online shopping if the local "mom & pops" store doesn't have something.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:53 PM   #20
BoogieMan

I put the fiber optic front sight on my 22/45. It shows up very well but the round profile IMO makes it a little tougher to hold elevation consistantly. Seeing as the pistol comes with a rail I also tried a cheapo BSA halo red dot. I was very pleased even with the lesser quality RD. Only problem I had was that the scrwews that hold the power knob came loose. A dab of LC and its back in business. A red dot is very useful in helping to learn a natural point and makes your flaws very obvious. the practice with the 22/45 let me make 2-1/2 to 3" groups with irons on my Kimber at 25. 15yd 1" or less.
point is that the red dot made me better all around. If your putting it on a 22 I dont think there is an issue with cheapo units. If it was a heavy recoil gun I would have went with a better unit. Looking at a Burris FFIII for my Kimber.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 20, 2013, 09:03 PM   #21
alex0535

^You will love the Burris FFIII. Mine is my on Henry .22 lever action at the moment. Shot 2 squirrels with it yesterday. Next deer season Its going to be on the Marlin 336 30-30 or .35 remington. It has also been nice on my .17 HMR revolver, I shot a squirrel with it using the FFIII.

If you buy it for a handgun, try it on on a rifle and you will like it even more. The way the woods are around here, its the only thing I would want on a deer rifle.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:38 AM   #22
BoogieMan

/\ I re-scoped my Remy 3600, 30-06 last year with a Weaver 4-14 so not ready to change that out yet. For deer I also like the ability a scope has to gather the extra light, and of coarse to zoom in on those tiny racks in PA. I am waiting to pick up a 460XVR and I am up in the air between a quality red dot and a scope, leanig toward scope. I want the burris for steel plate shooting with my 1911. If I could get a 3-4x red dot I would use it for hunting also
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #23
BillyJack3

I have 3 tube style red dots on my rifles and love them. Easy to find the dot, fast target acquisition and very accurate.

I thought I would like on on my Buckmark so I got the rail and a small reflex sight. It was very difficult to find the dot quickly and I found it much easier using factory sights. Tried a tube style red dot and it just added way too much weight.