The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Chuck Graber

Range bag, case, box......

It seems that when I head to the rifle range I always end up lugging around quite a bit of stuff. Gun case, ammo, rifle rest, chrony, spotting scope, targets, tools plus numerous odds and ends. I have a range bag that will handle the ammo, tools and some of the odds and ends. Still I end up having to make several trips from the truck to the shooting bench with armloads of stuff. If I am shooting the muzzle loader the list of stuff gets even longer.

Does anyone have a system for organizing, carrying and storing all of this range equipment. I have thought about attaching a storage box of some sort to a light hand truck? I have never seen anyone with a good setup at the range. Any ideas?
Old April 28, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Casimer

I use a Ray-Vin range cart, which can carry everything but my scope stand, - though it seems like you haul even more stuff than I do

Here's a webpage w/ links to various carts that are popular w/ HP shooters - http://iowahighpower.com/HPEG/stools.htm

But the best set-up that I've seen, for lots of equipment, is a custom built wagon that an older gentleman at my local range uses. It looks like a oversized kid's wagon w/ removable wooden sides, and large inflated rubber tires. He's built it out w/ storage decks, accessory hooks, and a slatted wooden lid. It's really well done, but I'm pretty sure that it's something that he'd constructed himself.
Old April 29, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Chuck Graber

Thanks for the links I may have to make something myself or build something I can attach to my deer cart.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Ricebrnr

How about this?

or this?
Old April 29, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Greg.B

I use a nice large plastic toolbox:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ile+Tool+Chest

They also have some others:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....G+ROLLING+WORK
NRA Member | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | NRA Certified Rifle Instructor | NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor | Indiana Hunter Education Instructor | BSA Scoutmaster | BSA Merit Badge Counselor
Old April 29, 2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Ricebrnr

Then again if you want to really pimp out and be the envy of everyone at the range...
Old May 2, 2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Chuck Graber

Looks like some serious overkill possibilities here.
Thanks again!
Old May 3, 2009, 06:47 AM   #8
JAYBIRD78

Wasn't there a thread awhile back about a "tacticool" wheelbarrow?

I would think anyone who has been shooting for at least a few years can feel your pain. It seems like I also drag more and more "stuff" to the range each time I go for "just in case".

I always thought one of those pull out gun lockers for the bed of your truck would work nice. You could just leave your stuff inside 24/7. Of course you would need a topper and would want to park it in the garage too.

If you do find an answer, email me with the solution.

Good luck
Old May 3, 2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Tactical wheelbarrows often don't fit in the trunks of cars.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Sevens

My experience isn't likely to help much, but I think it's on topic so I'll share it.

I've tried all kinds of different setups for getting guns & gear to the range. At a public outdoor range, it's no big deal to fill the trunk with goodies and make the 30-50 foot walk to set up some gear from the trunk. At my "home" range that we built at a buddy's house, however, it's a ride on a 4-wheeler or the tractor to get to the range. I had to come up with something better than box ofter box after box with two guns in each.

I bought a bow case, where I can fit a number of handguns in, and with each wrapped in a small towel, they don't go anywhere. That worked okay...

Was using .50cal ammo cans for my boxes of ammo, but they were heavy and not big enough, so I upgraded that to a big black & decker plastic tool box. Success right there.

A couple weeks ago, the wife surprised me with a new, much slimmer and easy to carry laptop bag. Was using this big old sucker with 85 different dividers and areas of storage. Fill it up with travel gear and laptop and it's 40-lb bag on my shoulder. Now with this slim new one, laptop hauler is much nicer.

So the old lap top bag became a new pistol packer! Again, each handgun wrapped in a small towel, I can carry seven handguns in this unit and all are protected, all the space is used, easy to carry, works good as all hell.

I'm bringing just as much stuff, but making better use of my space. So if you have an old laptop bag kicking around, it's a great hauler for multiple handguns, or a couple handguns and a lot of small gear or ammo.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:16 AM   #11
Bboomer

Here ya go.... just add fender skirts and you're all set.

http://www.cal-graf.com/
Old May 9, 2009, 03:03 AM   #12
Creature

My range pistol box looks like this: