The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 09:33 PM   #26
10-96

I have the 75BD, D-PCR, and a 92FS. I too personally favor the CZ's hands down to the Beretta. The reasons are that the CZ ergonomics, placement of the slide release and de-cockers, and even through much effort, I cannot come nearly as close to producing fast accurate (even long distance) shot groups with the Beretta as I can with the CZ's.

I've been a Beretta Armorer for 8 years or so now, and while their mechanics and simplistic approach in design is very good, they are at a terrible mercy of small part and spring quality. Granted, you don't see much in the way of spring and small part failure (for a department), and they have released a Generation III locking block kit- the quality and strength of replacement parts we have received are lacking compared to 5-6 years ago. If you do opt for the Beretta- I would highly advise you to consider Wolff (or anybody's) springs over Beretta's should you need replacements.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Jager78

Both are excellent firearms! I have owned a 92fs since 2001 and have never had any issues with it whatsoever. I really like the CZ-75 and just purchased a Baby Eagle II Polymer in .40S&W which is based off of the design of the CZ-75.

What can I say, they are all excellent handguns!
Old March 15, 2013, 08:27 PM   #28
IMightBeWrong

This one is tough for me. Beretta for looks, CZ for ergos. Beretta for reliability, CZ for accuracy. Such great pistols either way!
Old March 16, 2013, 03:39 AM   #29
LockedBreech

CZ75 vs Beretta 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
CZ75. All steel. Better made. Better design. Better grip.
The only issue I have with this post is "better made". Better design and grip have debate points in their favor, and all steel is, of course, true, but in my experience, with due respect to the excellent CZ-75, the Berettas I have handled have had markedly better fit, finish, and "quality feel" than CZs.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:48 AM   #30
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
... the Berettas I have handled have had markedly better fit, finish, and "quality feel" than CZs.
Don't know what "quality feel" might mean to you, but will agree that Berettas have a much higher level of finish, including areas polished internally that CZ doesn't bother with. I would argue, however, that most of these (and other) differences do not make the Beretta a better-shooting or more durable handgun than a CZ.

My only point is that CZ seems to pay more attention to utilitarian concerns than cosmetics. (Their "Polycoat" finish is evidence of that assessment.) Many wish CZ would pay more attention to "finish" issues, but would probably complain about higher prices if they did.

I really don't think that Berettas are better "fit" (barrel to slide, slide to frame, hammer to grip frame, etc.) than CZs; I'd consider that a toss up.

Like you, I wouldn't claim that CZs are better-made than Berettas. Cosmetics seem to be the biggest difference. I like the grip better on the CZ, but some of the Tanfoglio-based guns (like the Baby Eagle) have even improved on that.

To me, the Beretta just SEEMS big; yet both guns work in the same holster.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:49 PM   #31
Average Joe

I own both, but if I could only have one , it would be the CZ.
Old March 16, 2013, 02:21 PM   #32
LockedBreech

CZ75 vs Beretta 92

I agree, Walt. In terms of objective quality I'd put them on even ground.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:11 PM   #33
MercyfulFate

I own a 92fs and have never even held a CZ75 so I'm too biased.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun