The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
CZ 2075 Rami 3 14.29%
Springfield XDS 9 42.86%
Springfield EMP 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
themalicious0ne

Want a Good CC Gun, Which One?

I want to pick up a gun I will carry all the time. It needs to be reliable and comfortable. All of my choices are very different and for very different reasons but I cannot decide which. Try to convince me please. I would prefer to spend less but would not oppose any that I have on the list. I also am unsure about the caliber. I prefer bigger, but my main priority is reliable feeding.

Last edited by themalicious0ne; February 20, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
TxFlyFish

Avoid 1 and 3 unless they fixed everything
Old February 20, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3
seeker_4

Look at Bersa while you're deciding. I went with a BP9CC for my lady and liked it well enough I'm carrying one too.
You can listen to all of us, but pick up what feels great to you, is dependable and fits YOU. You'll enjoy it and shoot more. More shooting equals precision shooting. Precision shooting can save lives.
If it's not what your tickled to death with, you won't enjoy it...
Old February 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
shouldazagged

My only suggestion is that you not exclude revolvers from your testing to see what suits you. Smith J-frames. Ruger SP101, some of the Charters. They are easy to carry and extremely reliable, can be fired more than once from inside a pocket if necessary, won't go out of battery if jammed against an attacker, don't have magazines to drop, etc. Good semi-autos are also highly reliable, but don't offer those particular advantages for concealed carry. The trade-off is capacity and in some cases slightly greater ease of concealment; however, most defensive shootings are very brief, at close to point-blank range, and involve the firing of only a few rounds.

But as everyone is going to tell you, try some guns and see what works for you so you'll pick a piece you'll carry all the time. Pistol or revolver, it's little use in your skivvies drawer.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:18 PM   #5
bikerbill

I just got an XDs a few weeks ago and only have about 50 rounds through it, but it suffered no failures and was very accurate at SD distances ... my EDC is a PM9, but once I get a few hundred rounds through the XDs satisfactorily, I think I'm going to make a change ...
Old February 20, 2013, 02:26 PM   #6
gundog5

I have an XD and it carries very well. I have put several thousand rounds through it with not a single fail to fire issue. In addition, with the match grade barrell, the are extremely accurate.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
. Avoid 1 and 3 unless they fixed everything
The RAMI 9mm didn't have issues...it was the 40 version that had problems.

As for the choices listed, be sure you fire them before buying. Some smaller guns are difficult to manipulate.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
themalicious0ne

I guess to give some more information to thank those of you who posted. I do shoot a lot, not as much as I like but about 750 rounds a month in spring and summer just from a handgun. I worked armed security, had much training and shoot in a pin handgun league.
As for the poster who questioned the lack of a revolver, I love revolvers and would not think twice about eventually having one in rotation. In fact I have money saved to buy my little sister her "dream gun" for cc. She is a huge revolver fan. I know that they can be worn comfortably and conceiled but I would like to carry 24/7 and feel IWB would be slightly more difficult. The problem I see with this is, I am fairly built/thin 225lbs and being only 22 years old I often dont wear clothes that are large and baggy. I really dont want to have to buy a new wardrobe to carry or have to leave my gun behind. I really dont care if it prints a whole lot but there is a difference from possibly being able to see it from time to time to all the time. Also as much as I love revolvers, I am much more used to the training, carrying and manipulating of a semi. The gun of these 3 that felt the least desireable was the XDS. It is actually the one I figured I would want the most but the one I held did not have the extended magazine and I have massive hands. Huge palms and long fingers. I am unsure where to trade off honestly, conceilability vs. pointability.

Again thank you for the help and information

P.S. I dont know whereI would be able to fire any of these. Many of my local ranges rent guns, but generally the "popular" guns that they sell. These are not in their selection. It would be really nice to feel beforehand but I honestly feel sufficient enough to be able to learn to shoot it very well.

Last edited by themalicious0ne; February 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM.