The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Bubsy

NYC's pistol permit renewal, getting a little anxious

My Residence Permit expires on 1/20/2013. I got my renewal packet from NYPD 12/10/12 and sent in my renewal on 12/12/12 with delivery confirmation. I got confirmation from USPS that it was delivered on 12/13/12. As of 1/6/13, I still haven't received my new license, and, my credit card still hasn't been charged. I'm getting a little anxious (and annoyed) since my license expires in less than 2 weeks. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and hope that someone will be there to answer the phone.

When I last renewed my license, there were two errors. They had it listed as "no employer" when I've been employed at the same place for 17 years, and they had one of my semi automatic pistols listed as a revolver. When I called their attention to the errors, they said that the employment was irrelevant and as long as they had the correct model, caliber, and serial number of the gun, whether it was a revolver or semi automatic was irrelevant as well. That made sense to me.

With the current application, I once again corrected the errors. Perhaps I shouldn't have? In any case, I'll call the renewal dept. tomorrow and see what they say and I'll post an update here.

busby
Old January 6, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
BerdanSS

I'm going through kinda the same thing in Indiana. I filed my renewal via Indiana's new paperless system (thanks Mitch) three weeks before it was due. I was told at my local LE office when I brought the conformation receipt and money orders in, that the new system made everything pretty much instant...since the finger printing is now digital also. and should receive my new license in as little as 5-7 business days. That was over a month ago...coming up on two months It didn't take that long to get my first one 10 years ago, when I filed for it on my 18th birthday through the same police department

Wow you NY guys have to go through a load of crap. Our form (now online) is one page of pretty much just you name, address, ect.... and have you had a firearms license before, if so what the Lic. # was. One set of finger prints...pass them the money and bam, your done.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
mete

NY State permit is lifetime, NY City is renewable ! NYC is a very different world !!
Old January 7, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

Oh, it'll get renewed in 6 months or so...

Meanwhile, turn in your pistol. It'll have to be destroyed!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 7, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Bubsy

I called the renewal department today. They told me that they have not received the paperwork that I sent. They said it is either still in the "mail room" or was sent to the "cashier" but they wouldn't be able find out where it is. They told me to call them back on the 14th. When I reminded them that my current permit expires on 1/20, they told me "Don't worry, it wont be canceled" but they weren't able to explain what that means.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:45 PM   #6
JohnO

You live in NYC. Like the man said, don't worry....