The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1
chrisintexas

Most comfortable grips on handguns

What would be the grips that you consider most comfortable in pistols and in revolvers? I mean wooden grips, rubber grips etc.

Thanks
Old October 6, 2012, 01:22 AM   #2
warnerwh

I like Hogue rubber grips on my revolvers for shooting. They fit my hands well and are comfortable. My hands are small but my best friend is a big person and he's the one suggest I try them because that's what he likes also. They also are easy to grip well even if you perspire.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:53 AM   #3
hoytinak

On revolvers I've found the most comfortable grip for me it the rubber factory grip that comes on the Ruger SP101 with wooden inserts.

On semis I mostly shoot polymer and really like the Ruger P345 grip, for interchangable grips I prefer a 1911 with ultra-slim alumagrips.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Jeff #111

I like Pachmyer grips. I grew up shooting my father's guns and they all had Pachmyer grips on them. Now I have them on my guns. But I've tried others and I always come back to the PAchmyer designs.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
b.thomas

I like rubber grips the best be it Pachmyer or Hogue, just get a better grip because of having arthritis.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Genepix

+1for b. thomas....They both offer great quality for reasonable price, and are extremely comfortable.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Bob Wright

Smith & Wesson once asked me about grip preference and sent me a pair of goncola alves combat grips. I told them ivory. Never heard from them again.

But prefer wood, walnut, mesquite or rosewood, smooth, no checkering.

Bob Wright
Old October 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

You are the only one who can answer that question for yourself.
Grips are like shoes, they must fit.
Many people like Hogues. That brand is just all wrong for my hands.
For my Ruger Redhawk I went through, at least, six brands and styles of grips before settling on Pachymar Presentations. They fit me, allow control, do not punish and have just the right amount of softness for gripping but don't tear the skin.
That is me. Use the 'try' grips in your local gun shop and/or be prepared to spend some money on various grips until you find your perfect fit.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Hammerhead

On revolvers with full backstrap like S&W's, Blackhawks, etc... I like a well fitting set of wood. Two piece soft rubber grips get pushed out of the way by the recoil and you feel the edges of the backstrap.
Rubber grips that cover the backstrap usually add to much to trigger reach.

The only gun I like rubber on is the GP100 with the grip peg.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If they fit they are comfortable period. I have Pachmayr on my 41 mag and they are great, I have custom wood grips on my Dan Wesson .357 and they are great, same with my over sized wood target grips on my S&W 41. Only Gun I have I would like to change grips on is my Ruger Super Blackhawk, larger grips would be better. Plastic, wood, or rubber makes no difference to me if the gun fits in my hands.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 6, 2012, 04:28 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
What would be the grips that you consider most comfortable in pistols and in revolvers? I mean wooden grips, rubber grips etc.
It varies quite a bit, and it depends on the gun.

Looking over my collection, I tend to end up with hard (or not very soft) rubber grips, with a checkered texture. Ex.: Pachmayr Gripper on the Model 19, East German milsurp grip on the Makarov.

Hogue rubber grips I've tried I've ended up deciding were too soft and/or too big.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 6, 2012, 08:39 PM   #12
chris in va

The rubber grips on my CZ p01 is probably the most comfortable factory grip I have ever held.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13
rodfac

Geez, I hate to admit it, 'cause their butt ugly....but for S&W and Colt double actions...the old Pachmyer rubber grips do a fine job of handling recoil, despite their off-putting looks.

In the world of Single Action grips, the "gunfighter" type, with a swell up near the top to arrest the recoil's muzzle flip, fit me well....and I've made a dozen or so now with varying amounts of swell. They work well and add visually to the gun's looks.

Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:30 AM   #14
fun2shoot

Hogue or Pachymayr. Seems Pachymayr is not manufacturing grips anymore. The last I heard atleast.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:35 AM   #15
JC57

Seems as though Pachmayr is still in business, though as a part of Lyman Brands and not a separate company:

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/revolver-grips.php
Old October 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
zombieslayer

On my revolvers I prefer wooden grips, because I carry iwb, and rubber grips "grab" my shirt and print more. Also, the rubber can be harder to draw because of it's stickiness to clothing. Just my preference. Plus- my engraved j-frame grips look GOOD!

In the realm of autos, I like the grip of my p99. No other pistol compares.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:50 AM   #17
kdrf636

Hogue.

The Hogue stocks fit me perfectly on all my revolvers. I have the rubber finger grooved ones and wood ones without the finger grooves.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Redhawk5.5+P+

Mr Hogue rubbers on most of my revolvers, and my CZ75B. Love'm
Old October 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #19
idek

I'm going to agree with those who say Hogue grips on a revolver. Wood, ivory, or other hard grips may look classier, but they just don't feel as comfortable to me.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:24 PM   #20
9mm

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHogue, and applies to shotguns. I have Hogues on quite a few guns, 92fs, Taurus 94, Mossberg 500 pistol grip[amazing when shooting no pain!] Slip on for my Glock 19/26.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:40 AM   #21
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHogue, and applies to shotguns. I have Hogues on quite a few guns, 92fs, Taurus 94, Mossberg 500 pistol grip[amazing when shooting no pain!] Slip on for my Glock 19/26.
I'm starting to consider Taurus as a swear word, but I loved my once owned (good gun) M608.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; October 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:56 AM   #22
9mm

Well I think I am about to get a part time job, and with that I really want to buy another model 94 or maybe the 22mag/22lr. Give them a try, I have no problem with my model 94. 3k+ rounds.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:06 AM   #23
BDD8

If we're going with rubber wrap around grips...HOGUE...but they will loose their texture over time.

Can any one recommend some great custom wood 1911 grip artists? I've found a few but wondered who you guys prefer or recommend.

http://www.spresserknifeworks.itgo.com/
Old October 9, 2012, 07:52 AM   #24
rodfac

BDD8 You might check out Raasco grips at: www.raascogrips.com The ones below are smooth, but they do offer checkered, I believe. This pair of paper based micarta grips on my Ruger SR1911 give me a good grip and look like aged ivory...beautiful. Raasco delivered them in a week and a half. Good work. Here's the pic.

Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 9, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #25
PzGren

I prefer well fitting wooden grips. On target and range guns the grip texture can be rougher than on carry or action sports guns.

I prefer Nills for fit and finish. They are ergonomically correct for my hand.