The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 8, 2012, 01:13 AM   #26
JimDandy

I also have to admit to owning a Barska spotting scope. Cabelas had/has them in their Bargain cave for about 25% of what the Celestrons are going for on Amazon. I figured for that price I could buy a that thing as something slightly better than disposable for taking in the field as opposed to the range, while I saved and researced what I wanted to spend the big bucks on.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:54 AM   #27
Bud Helms

It looks like we have two threads of the same title started by the same member about 3 months apart.

Merging threads.
Old August 10, 2012, 02:05 AM   #28
CDR_Glock

I just acquired a Leupold 45x-60 mm scope kit. It's pretty sharp, even at low light. The scope itself is not heavy, at all.
Old August 10, 2012, 07:23 AM   #29
rebs

Quote:
It looks like we have two threads of the same title started by the same member about 3 months apart.
sorry for the double post, I am still looking for a spotting scope and was hoping someone had a current model and would post how it worked for them.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:20 PM   #30
rebs

I found a Simmons Blazer 20-60 x 60 at Walmart today for 59.95 and bought it just to check it out, I can always return it. No hard case and a crappy tripod, but the scope isn't too bad for the money. I'll see how it does at the range and let you guys know.
Has anyone on here ever had a simmons spotting scope ?
Old August 15, 2012, 10:06 PM   #31
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I found a Simmons Blazer 20-60 x 60 at Walmart today for 59.95 and bought it just to check it out, I can always return it. No hard case and a crappy tripod, but the scope isn't too bad for the money. I'll see how it does at the range and let you guys know.
Has anyone on here ever had a simmons spotting scope ?
I saw it at Walmart but I decided to pass on it. I hope it works for you. Bear in mind, the higher magnification doesn't work very well.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:13 AM   #32
rebs

Quote:
I saw it at Walmart but I decided to pass on it. I hope it works for you. Bear in mind, the higher magnification doesn't work very well
It goes to 60x, I am already knowing not to expect much at that magnification. I am mainly interested in up to maybe 40x at best. Hoping to see the bullet holes at out to 300 yds at best. I figured for the price I would give it a try. As I said it can always be returned for a full refund. If this one doesn't work out I will try a Celestron like was recommended earlier.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:17 PM   #33
big al hunter

I have a Burris landmark 20-60x80 that works wonderfully at the range and in the field. Saves me many trips to the target.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:43 AM   #34
rebs

Quote:
I have a Burris landmark 20-60x80 that works wonderfully at the range and in the field. Saves me many trips to the target.

I took the Simmons to the range today and it was what I thought it was going to be, a cheap scope. It goes back to Walmart tomorrow and I'll keep looking.

Has anyone had a Meade spotting scope ?

Last edited by rebs; August 17, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:05 PM   #35
big al hunter

I can see 243 hits at 200 yards and the elk at about 600 yards looked like they were right in front of me. The scope is clear and it has a fine adjustment focus knob that is nice. Look through several different models at a sporting goods store. Look out a window if possible. Clarity is the most important quality so try to see which one can see fine details as far away as you can.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:31 PM   #36
STW

It depends is a mighty useful phrase. I had a fixed 20x scope that fit all my needs for years. It proved inadequate in October when we head for Ystone to look for wolves.

So I upgraded and bought a Leupold 15-45x scope which I rarely use above 40 because of distortion and the narrowed field of view.

This past fall we were in the Lamar Valley trying to see wolves over a mile away. I remember some gal telling me "look for his ears." For the record 40x was totally inadequate for seeing a wolf's ears from a mile away. Her 60x Swarovski with better glass was a game changer but I figure it'll be cheaper to look for closer wolves or ones with bigger ears.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #37
pnolans

frustration

I am the owner of a Nikon 16-48 x 65 ... model number WP65A.

Here's more about it.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Prod...mm-Angled.html

I live in Colorado Springs, CO .... The summit of Pikes Peak is about 10 miles away... at max zoom I can see the house on the summit with clarity.

However, when I shoot at targets at 210 yards, I can't see if my 270 win bullet has hit the target or not. Where I shoot, I'm not supposed to use anything but paper targets. I've experimented with Shoot N See and other splatter targets, but a 270 bullet just doesn't make that much of a hole.

I thought I would try even more magnification, but I'm starting to doubt that will make any difference, based on someone's earlier comment.

I can't afford a Swarovski (sp?) but am willing to spend more. I CAN see the 150 yard targets.

Any ideas?

I have a few old time SLR cameras.. I wonder if a monster telephoto will help?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat
Old August 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #38
geetarman

Quote:
I am the owner of a Nikon 16-48 x 65 ... model number WP65A.
I have that same model scope and I have no problem seeing 22 caliber holes at 200 yards with it.

I do have some issues trying to see 30 caliber holes at 300 yards. We cannot post targets at that range any more at Rio Salado, so it is not a big concern to me.

I do notice the scope must be mounted securely to keep vibration from moving it around. I have mine on a wide base camera tripod that I set at the very front of my bench. At 200 yards, focusing is a very touchy process when you dial the magnification up.

Are you experiencing problems with the focus? Has the scope been dropped or bumped?

Carpe Cerveza
Old August 31, 2012, 07:38 PM   #39
pnolans

@geetarman.

Thanks...

No I haven't dropped it. It does seem hard to get that "sweet spot" of focus at 200 yards. Which I guess is not odd, considering I'm at max zoom and depth of field is probably very small.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:20 AM   #40
geetarman

Quote:
It does seem hard to get that "sweet spot" of focus at 200 yards.
I have that same issue. It would be really nice if one had a small rubber wheel and cable device to tweak the focus without having to touch the side of the scope. In my head I visualize something like either a cable release used on cameras or a precision stepping motor that would allow easier focusing.

I am sure that someone will come up with some sort of instant focus like you see on digital cameras today.

I am thinking the shorter and more rigid your setup, the easier it is to focus at higher magnification and longer distances.

That is also where some of the really expensive spotting scopes are going to shine.

I have never looked through a Zeiss or Swarovski spotting scope. . .I am afraid what it might cause me to do

Carpe Cerveza

Last edited by geetarman; September 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:21 AM   #41
lmccrock

So this thread has had Walmart at 59.95 and Swaro at, well, probably "lots".

I have been looking at one in between, Konus, from lots of places, including Jarheadtop (Jim Owens). $250 shipped, and it "could pick up .223 bullet holes at both 200 yards and sometimes at 300 yards depending on conditions", which is comparable to Kowa (he says). Looks pretty good.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:27 AM   #42
pnolans

@geetarman
>That is also where some of the really expensive spotting scopes are going to >shine.

>I have never looked through a Zeiss or Swarovski spotting scope. . .I am >afraid what it might cause me to do

I wish you hadn't said that!!!

I am very much like that.

Interestingly for me... Yesterday was overcast. I took my scope and some targets to a very large empty parking lot. I taped some targets to a dumpster. I had no problem seeing the holes I had made with a small pointed stick, at 211 yards.

So, when I shoot at the range... the last few times it has been hot and really bright. Earlier posts were talking about mirage.

So... hm...