The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
BarkeyVA

16 ga. Marlin Model 90 Skeetking Article

If you are interested, an article about my special 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 Skeetking is in Issue No. 5 of the on-line magazine, The Sporting Shot. Go to http://www.shootingsportsman.com/ and click on Issue No 5 of The Sporting Shot.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Doyle

Cool article. I traded for a beat-up field grade Model 90 20ga a year or so ago. I've got the stock refinished to an acceptable level and I've rubbed most of the surface rust off the action and barrel. I've just got to put it back together and fit a recoil pad and I'll have a nice shooter.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
BarkeyVA

Doyle,

Charles Hammack on the 16 ga. web site describes the Model 90 as the best shooting upland bird gun ever made. My favorite bird gun is a 16 ga model 90 with 26" barrels. I have a 20 ga with 26" barrels and one with 28" barrels. I enjoy shooting both of them.

What length barrels does yous have? Is it open or closed betwen the barrels? Letter prefix in the serial number?
Old May 16, 2011, 09:22 PM   #4
zippy13

Took a while to find it. The article is Finding an American Classic: A Custom Skeeting with a History. Here's a more direct link. Click on "Discovery: A Classic American Shotgun" on the eMagazine's cover.
Very cool gun!
Old May 16, 2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Doyle

Barkey, it's a 26" open barreled. Prefix G and 4 numerical digits.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:58 AM   #6
BarkeyVA

"G" serial number indicates it was made in 1950. 26" barrels were typically choked IC/Mod. I think you will enjoy shooting it.

By the way, if you ever want to re-finish the frame and barrels, use a cold rust blueing process. The barrels are soldered, and the frame is a malleable iron alloy that will turn a less than pleasing purple or plum color with conventional hot blueing