The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 26, 2014, 09:18 AM   #1
dr1445

downgrade inline to prb

i am thinking about getting a hawken mz rifle to paper punch with prb's. i see the inlines are much easier to clean, i could go for that, anyone ever have a new barrel installed on an inline with the right twist [1:48, 1;66] for prb's? who does that kind of work?

sorry! wrong forum, please move if possible.

Last edited by dr1445; October 26, 2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old October 26, 2014, 10:27 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

moved.
Old October 26, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Pahoo

Apples and Oranges

Lots to work with here but will give it an honest go ....

Quote:
I am thinking about getting a hawken mz rifle to paper punch with prb's
Great idea and try to stay at or above 1:60. Now, 1:48 "may" work out for you on lower charges. ...
Quote:
i see the inlines are much easier to clean,
Not really it's just that the associated parts, are more accessible than the SideLocks. In reality, you have more surface areas to clean, on the inlines. When given a choice, I'd rather clean a SideLock, any day. ....
Quote:
i could go for that, anyone ever have a new barrel installed on an inline with the right twist [1:48, 1;66] for prb's? who does that kind of work?
It's not a big problem to find an inline with a 1:48 but looking for a 1:60 barrel is probably a lost cause; Just not worth it. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Pahoo

Deleted

Deleted
Old October 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
dr1445

i have no experience with the inline stuff, i did make a cva sidelock kit back in the 80's. i still recall the cleaning routine with the fixed breech plug, the new easy to remove plugs would seem to make barrel cleaning easier. still if it can not shoot prb i have no interest.
Old October 26, 2014, 02:20 PM   #6
B.L.E.

Green Mountain makes patched round ball barrel blanks that could likely be finished by some gunsmith to work in a inline.
Actually, traditional sidelocks just aren't that hard to clean. With Hawken style halfstocks, I unscrew the nipple, remove the barrel by taking out the barrel wedge and unhooking the rear of the hooked breech, then I put the rear of the barrel in a small pail of soapy water and use a ramrod with a cleaning patch to pump the water in and out of the barrel, then dry and oil.
The design of the sidelock prevents nipple blowback from invading the lockwork. This is not necessarily true with inlines.