The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
RickB

crossbolt safety "birdcage" technique?

When operating a right-handed crossbolt safety, how do you "birdcage" the trigger guard for left-handed operation? I have googled until my googler is sore, and have not found a single reference to the birdcage technique, but someone took me to task for not mentioning it when discussing lefties adapting to guns intended for right-handed use.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Chances are you will have to go back to that someone who is a "expert" on lefthanded people shooting righthand safety guns.

I would like to know as I'm lefthanded.

Could be a term like some gun(rifle) shooters have used in the past "draw a fine bead", have no idea what that means.

But yes I too would like to find out what "birdcage" means.
Old February 18, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
shamaz

Yes, count me in, too. I just got an 870 and shoot left handed and would like to continue developing and practicing efficient gun-handling methods.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

I took a look over at www.shotgunworld.com , I did a search for "birdcage" under lefthand guns. The only items that came up were for birdcage flash suppressor's.

shamaz, you can get a lefthand safety for your 870, it is made, maybe from Brownells.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
RickB

I'm glad that nobody else seems to know what it is, either.
I'm aware of a couple of techniques, such as rotating the left hand around the pistol grip so that the button can be pushed in with the thumb, and, of course, trying to get the trigger finger up on the "wrong" side of the trigger guard, but I really dislike breaking the "firing grip" with the left hand to disengage the safety, so a reversed button would certainly seem the best way to go, if you are stuck with a crossbolt.
I prefer the Mossberg tang safety, for lefty or righty.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Cowboy_mo

Not a lefty but .....

I would check with the manufacturer of your gun on how to accomplish the switch. Search their website for a manual for the gun and it may contain instructions on switching the safety.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:24 PM   #7
jmr40

Never heard that term, but my brother shoots an 870 lefty. He uses the middle finger behind/under the trigger guard. I use the 2nd joint of my trigger finger to move the safety to the "fire" position and the middle finger behind/under the trigger guard to go back to "safe". We both use exactly the same technique, just backwards if that makes sense. I'd have no problems operating an 870 safety lefty.

This works fine on any gun with the CBS on the back of the triggerguard. Much harder if it is on the front. I find the Mossberg safety equaly difficult from either side and behind the triggerguard better for right or left handed users.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:18 AM   #8
shamaz

Yes, I also shoot an 870 left-handed and use my left middle finger curved under the trigger guard to switch the safety to "fire" and my left thumb to put it back on "safe." This method works well for me.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9
zippy13

I've never heard the term, perhaps the "birdcage" reference is to the machining necessary to convert a factory safety to LH operation. An easier way is to install a left-handed safety. Here's one that Midway has for $17: