The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
kc_hhsl

NRA Instructor Pistol Shooting Course

I am looking to take this course to get certified. Mainly to teach youth in our area - 4H and others.

Anyone have insight and how to prepare for this. Really don't want to flunk ... not sure how hard it is.

You input would be appreciated ... especially for any tips.

Thanks

NRA Life Member
Old March 8, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
lawnranger05

Its pretty straightforward to become an instructor. You take the BIT first (Basic Instructor Test). That course teaches how to teach. Then you take the discipline specific course/test. The NRA is a pretty big fan of lists, so take notes outline style. You don't really need to study, they give you what you need and most of it is basic information. The shooting part is pretty easy. If you can shoot groups inside the 8 ring, you'll be fine. If you can't, you shouldn't be teaching The hardest part is sitting for 2 days. Good luck, we always need more people teaching safe firearm use.

Paul
NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
Old March 9, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
g.willikers

There's course books available from the NRA.
You could get both the student and instructor versions.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Jammer Six

If your check clears, you'll pass.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
If your check clears, you'll pass.
Thats not real reassuring. Or maybe it is.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
g.willikers

Don't lose sight of the real goal.
Not just to pass the course and get certified, but to be the very best, and most knowledgeable instructor, that you can be.
With plenty of liability insurance.
Many places where you will be teaching require it.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
RickB

I took three instructor courses over a three-day holiday weekend, and by the time it was over, I was pretty wiped-out. It's not really difficult, but just paying attention to talking people for three days can be a challenge.
One person was sent home early for mixing-up the steps in checking for unloaded/loaded status of a firearm. We approached a table with a dozen guns of different kinds, and were expected to clear them all, one guy didn't get it quite right, and he was done. So, no guarantee that you'll pass just by staying awake.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #8
KO3422

The NRA site has some good info. The classes are not difficult. Actually, it's pretty easy. It's not really about how to shoot. It's more of how to teach, train, and instruct. Lots of us can shoot handguns, but put yourself in front of a audience, and most will freeze up and studder. See if you can put yourself in touch with a local NRA instructor and they can give you some course info to make the class much less painless. It's a lot of info over a few days.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
drail

It very much depends on who is in charge of the class. When I went through it they brough in woman with a Master's degree in Psychology. It was about the stupidest class I have ever taken. There seems to be a great deal of latitude from the NRA on how these classes are conducted and what they concentrate on. But afterwards, the teaching part was the most satisfying "job" I have ever had in my life. At least 90% of our classes were all female first time shooters/owners. And they are SO MUCH easier to teach than men. They had no pre concieved notion of how to hold a gun or stand. They asked questions and they listened to the instructors. And they all learned very quickly how it all works. Any instructor who has taught both men and women will agree. I really miss that job.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: skirting the language filter.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:55 PM   #10
kc_hhsl

T/C Contender To Qualify ...

Will they let you use a T/C Contender to qualify?

NRA Life Member