The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 19, 2012, 05:37 AM   #1
bswiv

Old Guys and another friend.......

Not a lot of excitement to this one, at least as compared to the thunderstorm we endured while catching his shorter but fatter brother the other night.

This was was actually textbook, in that we knew where he hung out from scouting and went looking for him. We pulled into his cove, shut down and just watched for about 20 minutes. About that time another boat showed up on the south end of the cove, maybe 1/2 mile away and as we had seen nothing else in this cove and as this gator was VERY spooky and as the other boat was NOISY!, we decided to haul off down the lake to let things settle.

Just as I reach for the key to start the motor the other boat makes a abrupt turn and heads away so we decide to sit a few more minutes. And it was a good decision because not a minute after the other boat cleared the point this guy came up for a look. It was a mistake on his part.

I don't think he weighs much more than the fat one from the other night even though he was nearly a foot longer at 11' 8"..........

Old August 19, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
shortwave

Always enjoy your gator photo's bswiv.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
BIG P

Congrats,Are the hides bringing anything this year ?
Old August 20, 2012, 04:28 AM   #4
bamaranger

cartridge

I like your 'gator photos, lots of folks hunt deer, etc, but gators.......that's different and the pics are a treat.

So, how bout some gunny details. What cartridge, what rifle, what scope, etc? I'd think that life on an outboard would be a heck of a test of rifle and optics.

Be curios also as to how far you shoot, and what is the target, exactly?

A bobbing boat is not a very stable platform.
Old August 20, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
bswiv

When I get back from work today I'll post pictures and story on the 3rd one of the season..........and in that the "cartridge" and the "rifle" ( such as it is ) will get some play as we had one of those FAILURES that remind us to be prepared and cautious.