The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Coot_Commander

Reloading Steel Shot

Didn't find a whole lot of information on reloading steel on TFL forums. Just a few blurbs here and there. I have reloaded lead for most of my adult life but with the rising cost of steel shot I'm starting to wonder if thats a road I want to go down. It seems that steel is not as forgiving as lead and that with the tremendous performance specs that todays $25/10rnd nontoxic loads seem to put out, it may be hard to roll your own loads that can compete.

Don't get me wrong I'm no Phil Robertson, so loads that shoot at 1700fps and pattern like lead probably still won't make me a better shot. I've patterned a few different load/choke combos and I have noticed that with some of the cheaper loads its a miracle anyone knocks anything down. But I digress.

So I guess I would like to start a section on Steel reloading.
1. Post your experiences, good/bad
2. What equipment mods would be needed
3. Costs per round
4. and anything else you think is realavant
Old August 26, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Sevens

I've been active here on these forums for what's the date over there say... three years? One thing I've noticed is that there just isn't much chatter on shotshell reloading here. Not that it's banned or shunned or even disliked.

It just really isn't here much.

I'm guessing there must be a couple of killer shotshell reloading forums out there and that's why we don't hardly ever see it discussed here.

I hope you get the discussion you are looking for, but it might better come in a web search than in a thread here. If I ever get back in to shotshell reloading (I did it a couple of decades ago), I'd be looking for just such a forum. I don't think this one is it.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Coot_Commander

I haven't been active as long as you but I have noticed the same. I'm sure there are other knowledgeable forums out there. I just figured I have had such great luck with the wealth of knowledge on this forum for metallic, surely there are a few that know a great deal about shotshell as well. I'll let you know if I find that forum.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4
snuffy

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?c=4

That forum should have what you're looking for.

I've loaded steel for about 15 years. It isn't all that hard to do, but you just can't get the performance of some of the top loads that are sold. The equipment mods are simple and not that expensive. If you've saved your empties, then you can load them pretty easily.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Here's the place to go looking for non-toxic shotshell reloading. They have the wads, and other components, along with the shot. Even empty hulls if you don't have your own.

NBay specific questions, I can probably give you an answer, feel free to ask.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 27, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
oneounceload

Shotgunworld, 16ga society, 28gauge forum, doublegunshop all have reloading areas or threads about reloading. Might want to look at uplandjournal and shootingsportsman (all .com).

MEC makes a steel shot reloader

I stopped shooting waterfowl when they eliminated the use of lead in NV in the 80's; only reload lead now

You might ask the MODS to move this to the shotgun area - it might get more traffic