The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 27, 1998, 08:31 PM   #1
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Just an interesting target design I'd thought I'd share.
At the Washington State Tactical Championships, match director Marty Hayes had a pretty slick idea for targets.
He took "Tactical Ted" targets, suspended a bowling pin inside (via a wire through the neck) and closed off the back side of the target with plastic impregnated cardboard (the real name for that material escapes me right now).
You had to shoot the target pretty much center to rock the bowling pin, get it to knock against the back and topple the target, thus "neutralizing" the B.G.
Shooting at center mass on a T-shirt wearing torso is a little different that aiming for the "A" Zone on a piece of cardboard. (Esp. from behind cover, in a dark house, using a Surefire, while verbalizing.)
I was able to achieve one "one shot stop" with my little sissy nine, but alas, a "no shoot" was behind the B.G. and she caught lead that glanced off the bowling pin.
Other B.G.s during the course of the match took considerabley more than one shot to topple.
Maybe next year I'll shoot a "real" gun.
Tony
Old November 3, 1998, 01:03 AM   #2
Clay Whitehead

The Reactive Teds work really well. You have to make proper hits to "neutralize" the target. It can be doe with one round from a 9mm as long as you center the bowling pin.

I SO'd a stage that had 6 Reactive Teds to deal with. I watched shooters with .45's take several shots to knock over ole Ted. One shooter emptied a whole magazine from his .40 SIG, shooting from the side. He shredded the supports for the target, but kept missing the bowling pin in the middle.

That's the neat part about the Reactive Ted. It can be shot from any angle and still requires a good hit to knock it over. Some shooters even shot poor Ted in the back!!

Try a Reactive Ted. The only thing missing is motion and maybe that will come next year.

Clay

Old November 3, 1998, 01:23 AM   #3
Rob Pincus

I'll have those up and running as soon as I get back from Texas. I've got some Bowling pins that aren't totally destroyed.

What are they using as stands to get Ted up to be stable at normal height? I've had to Nail my teds to 2x4s that are nailed to a couple 4x4s as a base. The ones I have used haven't had flat enough bases to resist falling over when the wind blew, let alone when they were shot.
Old November 3, 1998, 08:38 PM   #4
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Clay can tell us for sure.

(BTW.. Thanks for stopping by Clay)

It looked to me that the Teds were nailed to 2x2's and they were in turn nailed to 2x8's about 14 or 16 inches long for the base.
Clay, does that sound about right?
There was only 6 Teds on your stage?
Good lord, it seemed like there was at least a dozen! I was afraid that my barrel was going to melt during that stage! BFG!!
Old November 4, 1998, 01:25 AM   #5
Clay Whitehead

There were only 6 Teds down in the hole, Tony, but they seemed to just keep coming!!

The framework looked to be a 2x6 base about the width of the Tactical Ted with 2x2's for uprights along the sides. The 2x2's were fastened to the sides of the Ted and the base. The ones in the match were a little hard to balance on the roundish tops of the drums.

One caution is to make sure you have a clear zone behind-way behind. We had some ricochets from bullets glancing off the shoulders of the pins. Some bullets were deflected upwards, so make sure you have an area big enough or berms high enough to stop any ricochets. If you stick the Reactive Teds fairly close to your berm, you shouldn't have any trouble. (Tony, this was not really a way to get even for the "incoming " the day before.)

Shoot straight and speak the truth.

Clay

Old November 4, 1998, 02:40 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

okay, so they are on 50 gal drums?
Old November 4, 1998, 07:08 AM   #7
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Yup.
Plastic ones.
Old November 13, 1998, 11:09 AM   #8
Rob Pincus

I caught a glimpse of the "reactive Teds" that ITI uses on a TV show. The best that I can tell is that they drill a small hole in the head of them, put a string through and attach in to an inflated ballon that sits in the head or chest of the Ted. The whole thing is then hung from the ceiling of a kill house. When the bullets pop the ballon, the Ted slides off the string.
Old November 16, 1998, 12:34 AM   #9
Rob Pincus

Okay, I finaly built one of these and they are great, check out my post in the Range reports section for details.

------------------
-Essayons