The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 28, 2014, 10:42 PM   #1
tscupr

HOPKINS & ALLEN Dictator identifying help

Howdy, Just inherited some this piece from Grandpa. This is a first of many coming.

Here is what I have so far. This is a Dictator with a .36 caliber percussion single-action revolver with a 5" barrel and 5-shot cylinder with walnut grips. The barrel marked “Dictator.” The serial number is 848 and is all matching.

I know what blued is and this does not look blued to me. Also all the books do not mention any models with a 5 inch barrel. Also I have not seen any examples with this type of trigger guard.

FYI, in the one side pic there is a mounting bracket attached to the pistol but comes off with ease and no mods to the pistol to accommodate the mount were done.

Any info or value amount would be greatly appreciated and a huge thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tscupr; March 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:34 AM   #2
RJay

That is not the correct trigger guard on your gun. The H&A was nothing more than a Bacon pocket revolver modified by H&A. Flayderman's states most were converted to fire the 38 rim fire, but that trigger guard was not part of the conversion. I also can't find anything that states it had a barrel longer than 4 inches, that one looks closer to five.
Old March 29, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
PetahW

This is what an unconverted (to .38RF) should/usually look like:

.36 percussion caliber, 5 shot single action revolver, Dictator, 4" barrel, sold from 1869 to 1872.

Total production was about 5000, of which about 4000 were altered to .38 RF.

The absense of a bead front sight on the OP's revolver sings "barrel cut shorter", to me.

I'd WAG that the OP's gun could be an expediant-repair parts gun, with that replacement triggerguard & a bbl assembly from some other gun of the day.

Last edited by PetahW; March 30, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old March 29, 2014, 03:21 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Remeasure your barrel - from what I'm seeing, that barrel is closer to 5 1/2", not 5". Measure from muzzle to the end of the barrel at the cylinder - not the beginning of the taper.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63